How would you rate your application experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How would you rate your application experience?

• P*ss poor - hated every second of it

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • meh? Could have been worse...could have been better..

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • About what I expected

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Had an awesome time but couldn't be happier that its over!

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • other - feel free to elaborate

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the 06-07 cycle is basically coming to an end. How would you rate the experience? Basing it on interviews, studying for the DAT, the amount of ulcers you've formed from all the worrying...etc.

Members don't see this ad.

An acceptance would have made it all worth it without a doubt. It wasn't terrible though, it's not like I didn't learn anything.

I didn't think it was that bad. Not saying I enjoyed it, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually enjoyed mine a lot, probably because i got to go check out different states and stay in different cities.

Fun. . . except for the fact that I spent tons of $$$. But overall, the experience was worth it.

My vote was for "its what I expected" . I thought it was going to suck and it did, not to say it wasn't worth it or I hated the whole process. The application process added stress to my already full life, after getting interviews I lost all motivation for classes. Not to mention getting accepted becoming a senior and totally losing all motivation.

it was how i expected it. its not too bad as long as you are organized.

Personally, I enjoyed the interview process. It was the AADSAS that sucked. I think there needs to be better communication between the schools and AADSAS. Best part????? Getting accepted to my first pick.......PRICELESS...............

Looking back I feel really fortunate to have an acceptance! 3 of the 7 applications I had were to Californian schools, and I realize now how crazy that was considering I'm NOT a CA resident! :eek: I mean seriously, what was I thinking?

Pacific - Why did I even bother applying? I wasn't able to submit my application until the end of August because of a late DAT exam. Withdrew in December.

UCLA - When I got the secondary application, I realized I wasn't the type of student they were looking for. Withdrew in December.

UCSF - Aced the interview, luckily! Could start relaxing 12-1 :luck:

The rest of the schools:

Harvard - Rejected me outright in early November w/o an interview!

UConn - Arrived 10min late to Dr. Thibodeau's talk.. my interviewers asked about that later in the day. They really weren't that happy about it :(. I wouldn't have applied here anyway if I had been reading SDN earlier! Withdrew in December.

Tufts - Withdrew before hearing anything from them.

Columbia - Told by my interviewer I was in, ultimately got an offer to be waitlisted and I declined.

For any 2008-cycle applicants, I'd recommend applying to more than 7 schools, probably more on the order of 12. I applied to less since cost was a factor, but I realize it shouldn't have been.

I guess my final piece of advice would be that the interview is the MOST important part of the application. Once you get it, then it's all on you to convince them to take you. Each school (and even each interviewer) will give off a different vibe and it's up to the interviewee to figure out what they're looking for and how best to convince the interviewers that they have it.