How would you respond to this interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Suppuration said:
In the context of "I would not touch that person" = certain death, it was a little difficult to water it down.
could you show me where I said that?

Members don't see this ad.

TheProwler said:
could you show me where I said that?

Said what? Dragonmaster said "I would not touch that person", and the OP laid out the hypothetical scenario such that "bleeding profusely means a serious episode that needs to be stopped immediately." Since the situation is contrived to begin with, I'm not afraid to assume that inaction with result in irreversible hypovolemic shock and death.

You should really stop trying to follow along while you're drunk.

gujuDoc said:
The above bolded is exactly why I said call 911, and the OP said that it would make the answer too easy and then tried to spin it around like what if it weren't in a country with 911. But I still think that's the best thing to do, and then if there is protective gear nearby like if you are directly outside of the hospital, then get the protective gear and do what you can, and have the patient apply pressure if possible.

I can assure you that this question was not designed to assess your ability to call 911. What the Hell would the point of that be? No, these situations are concocted to give the applicant a very uncomfortable choice to make without being able to run and cry to mama. You know, sort of like real life sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Suppuration said:
I can assure you that this question was not designed to assess your ability to call 911. What the Hell would the point of that be? No, these situations are concocted to give the applicant a very uncomfortable choice to make without being able to run and cry to mama. You know, sort of like real life sometimes.

I realize that!!!!!!!!!! However, I still think that is the first thing you do, before you start applying pressure, is see to it that proper help is on the way.

Since you are already an MD, how would you respond??? I'm genuinely curious.

But as I said earlier, calling 911 is only the first part of the equation of what I said I'd do.

I did say that afterwards, I'd apply the pressure by using something like a shirt etc to keep the barrier so the blood doesn't get on me, or if the person is strong enough to press down have them apply the pressure where I tell them too.

I interpret this question as testing how you react on the spot under pressure knowing that the patient has a deadly disease.

Edited to add:

If we are directly outside of the hospital, I'd get the gloves and what not. But if we are not, and I'm not by a car with first aid for gloves, then I'd use the clothes to apply the pressure or have the patient apply it with their own hands if they are able to do it themselves.

Suppuration said:
Said what? Dragonmaster said "I would not touch that person", and the OP laid out the hypothetical scenario such that "bleeding profusely means a serious episode that needs to be stopped immediately." Since the situation is contrived to begin with, I'm not afraid to assume that inaction with result in irreversible hypovolemic shock and death.

You should really stop trying to follow along while you're drunk.
You should really stop trying to be funny.

TheProwler said:
You should really stop trying to be funny.

Who's being funny? Your posts have the non-sequitur flavor of someone trying to explain Ulysses after eleven pints of German malt liquor.

Regardless of whether or not I agree with TheProwler concerning helping the patient, I find it absurd that Suppuration is attacking him for his quite well-reasoned and even-minded responses. Or guju, for that matter. Wait, don't we have a pattern here? :rolleyes:

tigress said:
Regardless of whether or not I agree with TheProwler concerning helping the patient, I find it absurd that Suppuration is attacking him for his quite well-reasoned and even-minded responses. Or guju, for that matter. Wait, don't we have a pattern here? :rolleyes:

huh???? I never attacked TheProwler. Or are you saying suppuration was attacking me???? Which is sort of what happened. But I'm confused about what you are saying. Please clarify. Thanks in advance.

gujuDoc said:
huh???? I never attacked TheProwler. Or are you saying suppuration was attacking me???? Which is sort of what happened. But I'm confused about what you are saying. Please clarify. Thanks in advance.

no guju, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm saying that this Suppuration guy enjoys attacking people (including TheProwler and you) and is very full of himself. It's actually somewhat amusing in a sad sort of way :p

tigress said:
no guju, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm saying that this Suppuration guy enjoys attacking people (including TheProwler and you) and is very full of himself. It's actually somewhat amusing in a sad sort of way :p

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Suppuration said:
Who's being funny? Your posts have the non-sequitur flavor of someone trying to explain Ulysses after eleven pints of German malt liquor.
Your posts are not as think as I drunk you once were when we talked to that one guy at the interview question?

seriously, if you are an MD, you get your rocks off on some really strange stuff

tigress said:

Attacking? I just said he was overreacting with all of his hand plunging commentary, and he was unable to follow along from there. With his last post it does seem that he can take a joke, however, so kudos for him and all his hand plunging fantasies.

As for guju, it was when she was sounding a little indignant and was all like "and then the OP started spinning it like there wasn't even any 911 in, like, the whole country (snaps gum)." Nah, I got nothing against the guj, either.

You, on the other hand...

tigress said:
It's actually somewhat amusing in a sad sort of way :p

I know what you mean.

kittenEatInBowl.gif

TheMightyAngus said:
I was asked this question at my last interview, and it left me like a deer in the headlights:

Outside the hospital, you encounter an HIV-positive patient who is bleeding profusely and needs immediate treatment. You don't have any gloves. What do you do?

I still don't know what the proper answer is, any suggestions?
I know it might be inconvenient, but carry gloves all the time anyway. You never know when a situation will arise. Most first-aid kits have gloves in them. There are endless answers to the question.