How your application was reviewed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Application = everything (interview, timed essay, prepared essays, academic record, LORS, EC, etc)

Method 1: Each reader reads the entire application
(i.e. School A has 2 readers for each application. Readers A1 and A2 each read every aspect of the application, judge it on say a 1-10 scale and if there's a point difference greater than say X, then a third person is asked to read it)

Method 2: Each reader reads one aspect of your application (i.e. some readers are stronger in certain aspects of the application)
(i.e. School B has several readers, say 8, with 1 reader per section of your application [in other words, no one reads the same section twice]. Reader B1 reads your PharmCAS personal statement, Reader B2 reads question #1 of School B's application, Reader B3 reads question #2 of School B's application, Reader B4 scores your timed essay, Reader B5 scores your interview results)

Which do you think is better (i.e. more favorable to the applicant) and why? Do most schools use Method 1 or 2?

Members don't see this ad.

I like Method 2 more :p

crazyrice610 said:

I think I like Method 1 better cuz the readers can see the overall picture of the applicant..but I guess Method 2 would be the most objective way :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, if I had to choose I would prefer A over B. That way they really get to know who they are accepting/rejecting.

I would rather have method one personally .....That we your application can be seen "wholistically".

But to be honest, here's what UCSD's Ass. Dean (Anthony Manoguerra)

"For last year's admissions, we drew the line at a 3.3gpa first. Then we saw where we were from there. Then things like C's in Ochem....."

He even admitted how unimportant the essay meant...
But he did mention tips for our essays. Anthony said not to write the "Miss America" essays where you want to cure cancer, world hunger, and house the homeless.

Taking this into account (and that UCSD is tied for my #1 w/ UCSF for applying to) I would definately prefer method 1. Otherwise something you wrote in one part of your application but did not mention it in another, for sake of spearing your essay from repetition, will be missed by some of the readers in method 2.

crazyrice610 said:

according to the responses so far in this forum, how come, devil's advocate? :p

They can use method Z, for all i care as long as i get in.