Howard changing their requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jongorges

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that Howard changed their requirements to include 6 semester hours of Human Anatomy, instead of 8 of Biology lecture/lab. I've taken the Bios with labs, but not the Anatomys. Does this mean I shouldn't apply now? :confused:...

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed this trend at dental schools to increase the pre-reqs. The requirements at the new Arizona school are absolutely ridiculous. Look at the requirements of Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, UNC and other elite dental schools. They keep it simple because they want well rounded people, not nerds with 50 different bio pre-reqs. Howard has enough issues without adding more pre-reqs. Look at the stats of their classes. Yikes.

You can still apply. If you get accepted, they will you require you complete all prereqs before summer next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in the process of taking it or planning on taking it and have strong stats just apply.

don't have enough time... Apparently they just added them, the Kaplan site still doesn't have them listed as requirements... Which is kinda unfair, cause if I had known about them earlier I would have planned on taking them...

Anatomy is not a predominate prereq so you won't be at much (if any) disadvantage for not taking it.

I've noticed this trend at dental schools to increase the pre-reqs. The requirements at the new Arizona school are absolutely ridiculous. Look at the requirements of Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, UNC and other elite dental schools. They keep it simple because they want well rounded people, not nerds with 50 different bio pre-reqs. Howard has enough issues without adding more pre-reqs. Look at the stats of their classes. Yikes.

The prereqs are meant to keep out the likes of you

As in the past (~100 years ago med students took ochem in med school), schools have added to their prereqs in order to drop certain courses from what is exceedingly becoming a bloated curriculum. This frees up space allowing them to catch up to the latest advancements.

As in the past (~100 years ago med students took ochem in med school), schools have added to their prereqs in order to drop certain courses from what is exceedingly becoming a bloated curriculum. This frees up space allowing them to catch up to the latest advancements.

Well perhaps, but what about schools that are adding prereqs like psychology, anthropology, sociology, etc. Yes, liberal art courses are being added. It really makes me think about what is "necessary" to train a competent dentist, the ultimate goal of dental school (I hope). With the rise of the ADH (Advanced Dental Hygienist) people are really questioning whether all 4 years of the required undergrad courses and 4 years of dental schools are absolutely necessary. If the ADH becomes a success, which It most surley will, this will directly challenge the beliefs held by most dental schools and pre-dents.

OHSU requires anatomy and UW requires anatomy plus several other science courses like microbiology and a few others. Bottom line, after you make your list of possible schools, check each one for their requirements.

My personal opinion is that the top schools like Harvard and Columbia don't feel the need to add to their requirements because most of the competitive students who are applying there already have anatomy, microbiology, embryology and the like.

i guess my question is: why do dental schools have all these complicated prereqs and med schools don't? and i find it very annoying that the prereqs between schools vary so widely. even the required LOE's vary. i was premed my first 3 years and switched to predental, and i was fine for med school but now i can't apply to perhaps a third of the dental schools.

it just makes it hard for non-bio majors. im a chem major with a bio minor, and taking all these "prereqs" just makes it harder and harder for non-bio majors like me.

Schools' adding anatomy, physiology, ...etc to their pre-req's my tip off that their students aren't doing too hot in that subject. Either that their curriculum's weak in that subject or that their students aren't doing well in that section of Part I. Really, if a given school had a long history of success in a particular subject, why add another road block to being admitted? I think Howard's hoping that having student matriculate with an anatomy background would help them do better in the subject. Same goes for ASDOH with physiology.

i guess my question is: why do dental schools have all these complicated prereqs and med schools don't? and i find it very annoying that the prereqs between schools vary so widely. even the required LOE's vary. i was premed my first 3 years and switched to predental, and i was fine for med school but now i can't apply to perhaps a third of the dental schools.

They probably get a kick out of annoying potential applicants.

It's a weed-out technique. At the end of the day it makes no difference, and the best candidates will get acceptances regardless of the courses they took.

I recently found out that Howard changed their requirements to include 6 semester hours of Human Anatomy, instead of 8 of Biology lecture/lab. I've taken the Bios with labs, but not the Anatomys. Does this mean I shouldn't apply now? :confused:...

uh oh...i don't want human ana.