Howard University MD/PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLovetoLive

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone!

I am applying to the MD/PhD program at Howard.
I was wondering if there are any current students in this program.
If there are, could you tell me a little about the program - more than what is listed on the website?

Is it harder than you expected?

How long did the MD/PhD program take (or planning to take)?

Did you apply knowing what program and specialty you want/wanted to pursue?

How did you choose a PhD program that fits the specialty you want to pursue?

Do you feel that you had/will have a hard time transitioning back into the third year?
Are there mentors/PI's that I should stay away from?

Who are good ones to match up with?

Does the program fully fund tuition, health insurance, and provide a stipend for the entire length of the program?

What GPA do you have to maintain to stay in the program? (I know most MD/PhD programs require a B in all graduate classes, but not sure about the Medical school portion).

Do you feel it was hard/will be hard to maintain friendships with the people in your MSI and MSII courses during your graduate years?

How long did/will your dissertation take you to write?

Do you plan to mostly practice clinical medicine or pursue bench research?

Overall, are you happy with your choice to pursue an MD/PhD?

Sorry for the zillion questions, but this is a really important choice I have to make. After all, it is a 7 year (at least) commitment.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice you can give me!!!

"Love it or leave it :love:"

Members don't see this ad.

I have been researching MD/PhD programs, but was hoping for specific accounts from Howard.

I will check out that thread.
Thank you!

I have been researching MD/PhD programs, but was hoping for specific accounts from Howard.

I will check out that thread.
Thank you!

it's an entire subforum. a lot of your questions can be answered faster by contacting the school (funding, GPA maintenace, etc.) while the other majority (regarding general md/phd lifestyle/career aspirations) can be found in numerous posts in the md/phd subforum. questions about specific PI's are more relevant once you're invited for interview or are accepted, and even then, you have to meet them in person yourself. other than that, a good program director can usually give good, honest inside advice for accepted students.