Howard vs. Bronx-Lebanon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miamidoc2b

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone comment on which is a better program and why. The locations of both are in major metropolitan areas & both are considered average? programs. Which one should get the higher rank? Which one will land you into a better fellowship spot?
 
When I interviewed at Howard, the chair told me that he likes to "encourage competition among residents". I've been wondering what this really means.

Any thoughts?
 
I trained there. What he meant was knowledge wise and on the in house exams or OKAPs. He likes to have jeapordy rounds with residents and those sorts of knowledge competitions. Not competition in clinic or anything....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't comment on the quality of these programs; all I can say is that I have heard of Howard many times, but I had not heard of the Bronx-lebanon residency program. Enough said! 🙂
Good luck! :luck:
 
I can't comment on the quality of these programs; all I can say is that I have heard of Howard many times, but I had not heard of the Bronx-lebanon residency program. Enough said! 🙂
Good luck! :luck:

Because you haven't heard of something is enough said? There's plenty you haven't heard of.
 
Hi,

I interviewed at Bronx-Lebanon and honestly it was a red flag. I didn't like that we didn't have an opportunity to speak to the residents during the interview day (b/c they were busy working in clinic) and from the brief interaction I had with them they did not seem happy. The interview was also very bizzare. I was asked about personal matters that are aginst the rules in the match (for example nationality and religion). You also have to buy your own indirect and lenses (witch will run you $3500) - although this isn't the most important point. I just had a bad vibe there. If you want to be in NYC then you may be willing to go there, but I'm not.

I am not sure about Howard, since I didn't interview there.

just my insight