Howard vs. Oakland B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

During the cycle I have been fortunate to have a handful of interviews, some which I have already declined and some I have scheduled for sometime in December.

So far I have an acceptance at Howard, 4 interviews scheduled in December, 1 in Jan and 1 in March

My interview at Oakland is coming up and I am beginning to question if I would go even if I were accepted.
I have made a pro and cons list but would love to hear your opinion if you have any on the schools. Trying to save on flight costs!

Howard

Pro's
  • close to home,
  • the atmosphere of the school, the family-like bond between students
  • they do have some new simulation facilities that were just recently built
  • HBCU!! I attended a diverse PWI (in a predominantly African American county) but most medical schools do not have much representation of African Americans/ Africans. I live in one of the most diverse cities in the US. I don't want to be 1/8 blacks when there are 80+ ORMS (ex. UMD, Vermont, etc )
  • They have a good match list for residency,
  • urban>> suburan settings. the exposure is better I know for sure
  • lower tuition than OU
  • small class size

Cons

• Financial issues. Every year Howard is in the local DC news bc of some $$ issues that are affecting students. I have many friends who went to Howard and spent a GOOD deal of time in the FA office, but they never let this reason alone stop them from coming back!
  • I presume ranking matters when applying for residency programs
  • COST OF LIVING! DC is in a strong gentrification period, I would consider a room-mate, but I also prefer to just live alone

Oakland

PROs
  • newer school/ new facilities
  • strong reputation for having one of the best hospital systems in the country
  • good match list as well
  • small class size
CONS
  • newer school, less reputation, unranked just like Howard
  • Most matches were in the mid-west, I would want to match in the east coast
  • Don't really feel like moving to MI, but would if the tuition came out lower after scholarships
  • suburban setting
I haven't interviewed at Oakland yet, but if anyone has any kind words to speak on the school please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

During the cycle I have been fortunate to have a handful of interviews, some which I have already declined and some I have scheduled for sometime in December.

So far I have an acceptance at Howard, 4 interviews scheduled in December, 1 in Jan and 1 in March

My interview at Oakland is coming up and I am beginning to question if I would go even if I were accepted.
I have made a pro and cons list but would love to hear your opinion if you have any on the schools. Trying to save on flight costs!

Howard

Pro's
  • close to home,
  • the atmosphere of the school, the family-like bond between students
  • they do have some new simulation facilities that were just recently built
  • HBCU!! I attended a diverse PWI (in a predominantly African American county) but most medical schools do not have much representation of African Americans/ Africans. I live in one of the most diverse cities in the US. I don't want to be 1/8 blacks when there are 80+ ORMS (ex. UMD, Vermont, etc )
  • They have a good match list for residency,
  • urban>> suburan settings. the exposure is better I know for sure
  • lower tuition than OU
  • small class size

Cons

• Financial issues. Every year Howard is in the local DC news bc of some $$ issues that are affecting students. I have many friends who went to Howard and spent a GOOD deal of time in the FA office, but they never let this reason alone stop them from coming back!
  • I presume ranking matters when applying for residency programs
  • COST OF LIVING! DC is in a strong gentrification period, I would consider a room-mate, but I also prefer to just live alone

Oakland

PROs
  • newer school/ new facilities
  • strong reputation for having one of the best hospital systems in the country
  • good match list as well
  • small class size
CONS
  • newer school, less reputation, unranked just like Howard
  • Most matches were in the mid-west, I would want to match in the east coast
  • Don't really feel like moving to MI, but would if the tuition came out lower after scholarships
  • suburban setting
I haven't interviewed at Oakland yet, but if anyone has any kind words to speak on the school please let me know!
Sounds like Howard is likely going to be the way to go, but unless interview costs/ time are a big problem for you I would still go to the Oakland interview. You never know what the cost difference could come out to after aid. Additionally, I don't know the specific policies of Howard but some schools are more likely to give scholarships to those with an acceptance somewhere else, so getting a 2nd acceptance from Oakland could potentially help you, even if you don't go there.

Reactions: 1 user