Howard vs RWJMS (RESOLVED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collinsdoc

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I’ve recently been accepted off the waitlist for RWJMS and have a week to decide. I went to Howard for undergrad and loved my experience. When applying to medical schools I wanted to be in DC or NYC. I’ve found an apartment, have pictured where I’m going to study and what my daily routine will look like at Howard. RWJMS would be instate so save me 40k over 4 years. I feel like the smart decision is to go to RWJMS and I feel foolish for even considering choosing Howard over it.

Howard

Pros:
  • located in DC where I eventually hope to match for Residency and/or work after residency
  • I loved living in DC for undergrad and have really missed living there (I've lived in the suburbs for 2 years and hate it)
  • Decent match list
  • NIH is in the DMV area which will provide great research opportunities
  • I generally see myself as being happier in DC (walkability)
  • I have a lot of family + friends in DC
  • went here for undergrad and have met some individuals that have been very successful and matched to programs that I'm interested in
  • big emphasis on community and family in the medical school (i really felt this during my interview, second look and even as an undegrad)
  • large emphasis on working with minority populations in DC
  • opportunities to connect with undergrads
  • large alumni network
Cons
  • not a true p/f
  • 2 year preclinical
  • 40k more over 4 years
  • 4 hrs away from home (not necessarily a bad thing for me but something to consider)
  • exams on Mondays
RWJMS

Pros
  • 18 month preclinical
  • p/f
  • 40k cheaper over 4 years because I'd be instate
  • 45 minutes from home
  • great match list with a decent number of people matching into competitive specialties
  • exams on Fridays with a lot of emphasis on "wellness"
  • iPads included in tuition (lol)
  • large alumni network
Cons
  • I really wanted to be in a major city during medical school (DC or NYC), current students have told me it's close enough to NYC and Philly that I can just go there during free time but I've done the whole "commute to the city" during free time for the past 2 years and I hate it. I also don't see myself opting to do this as a medical student.
  • living in the suburbs again which has driven me crazy for the past 2 years (not a walkable area, a car is required, etc)
  • spoke with a current student who said it was very cliquey and segregated. everyone is nice of course with fellow classmates, but doesn't seem like a family atmosphere.

So overall after doing my pros and cons list, I see it really comes down to where I wanted to be living as a student...I feel like the smart choice is to go to RWJMS. I'm not sure what specialty I want to go into either at this point. I wanted to do pediatrics for the longest but after my current position in a pediatric office, I'm beginning to consider something else that may be more competitive. So I'm wondering do I just suck it up and go to RWJMS even though that's not really where I want to go. I know it's only four years, and it's four years that determine the route of my career. Do I choose the logical school (RWJMS) or go where I really want to be (Howard)? I feel like a fool for even considering...but I feel like I'll really be happier overall living in DC and going to Howard.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The few people that was in my IM residency program that went to Howard didn't have great things to say about the school.

I have a colleague right now that attended RWJMS and she said it's a good school.

I'm typically a "follow the money" type of person but $40k over 4 years really isn't a big deal. Can you tell us more about what you're looking for and follow the typical pros and cons format to help us give informed advice?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm typically a "follow the money" type of person but $40k over 4 years really isn't a big deal. Can you tell us more about what you're looking for and follow the typical pros and cons format to help us give informed advice?
updated. thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
If you truly will be miserable if you're not in a big city, then I think you should choose Howard. I'm sure you've heard this already but just in case you haven't, trying to interpret match lists is really pointless. Matching is an extremely complex process and where students go doesn't have some linear connection with how broadly competitive they are. It includes desired geographic location, strength of individual residency program (which often does not correlate with overall institutional prestige), cost of living, stipend, benefits, and now unionization. So many other factors too. You should also think about the difference environments. HBCUs, as you know, are very different than PWIs. And it can have an impact on mental wellbeing for people to switfh from one to the other.

Tl;dr you definitely should not feel like a fool for considering Howard. I don't think either choice will be a bad choice.

What I do wanna say up front tho is that humans very rarely attribute bad situations to ourselves. Meaning whether you go to RWJMS or Howard, if you thrive and succeed you'll believe you made the right choice and the school is great. If you struggle and are miserable, you'll believe you made the wrong choice and the school is terrible. The truth is you could have a good or bad outcome from either school and most of that will depend on you, your performance, and your focus on wellbeing. Good luck with choosing.

Go where you think you will be happier! It’s obvious that your heart is with Howard.

Reactions: 2 users
In full transparency, I am on the HPWL at RWJ (but already accepted and PTE elsewhere, so almost certainly won't be attending regardless of WL movement). I would agree with the sentiment that 40K over four years shouldn't be the singular deciding factor for what school to attend. In reading your Pros and Cons for each school, I don't think it would even be a question for you if it wasn't for the cost difference. I agree with the above posts that encourage you to follow your heart (in the absence of significant financial advantage, i.e. >100K) which seems very clearly set on Howard. I think that comfort is an important element in adjusting well and succeeding in medical school, and it certainly sounds like you would be more comfortable at Howard given your familiarity with the area (which you know you like already) and your mental readiness to attend. Congratulations on your success and options and good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
You should go Howard honestly. Saving 40k in total is barely anything. I know people at RWJMS. They ain't commuting into NYC like that. Even folks at Hofstra (Long Island) are not commuting into the boroughs super frequently. And commuting in general is just a major drag. I'm sure the culture at Howard would be more lively too. The HBCU experience is definitely one that I wish I didn't miss out on!

Reactions: 4 users
It seems like your cons for Rwjms have more to do with the location and the cons for Howard are related to the actual school itself…so based on that I would take RWJMS considering you will be spending a decent amount of your time actually in school so I would think you would want to go where the academic environment is better IF you can handle being in NJ

Reactions: 2 users
I had a similar dilemma last week when I was choosing between my state school (MCG) and Howard. I had thought Howard was the place for me and I wanted to be in a major city but looking at the costs, it wasn’t reasonable. Howard would have cost me >360k and MCG is going to run me just <200k. Looking at the numbers it was an easy decision. My school also has exams on Thursdays so i’ll be able to leave for a weekend here and there to visit family/friends. 40k over four years isn’t a crazy difference though so I think that you should go with the place you will be happier at!

I can't speak much about Howard, but RWJ has a sort of reputation amongst the faculty and students of being very suburban and "stale". I wouldn't care much for this if location isn't important, but that doesn't seem to be the apparent case for you. Ultimately the curriculums are the same and, as I think someone said above, regardless of where you go as long as your a good student, you shouldn't have a problem with the match. I would say go wherever you feel most comfortable, versus where you feel pressured to go. Also 40k is not really a meaningful difference in comparison to the total educational cost of both schools. From what I see, you definitely seem like you would fit very well and be happy at Howard.

Based on how you are describing it, it seems Howard is the better decision for you. 40k difference in cost isn't much at all in the long run, and being happy is important. Howard is still a great medical school to attend, and the pros you are giving seem to make it like the environment of Howard would make it a much better living experience which is an important aspect to consider. Having friends and family nearby can be helpful as a support system, and if suburbia is going to drive you crazy then Howard is the better choice imo, especially if you do want to work/live in DC after graduating. It'll likely be easier to match into a DC residency from Howard. Definitely not foolish to consider it, if I was in your shoes with those preferences then I'd lean Howard

Reactions: 1 user
Update: Thanks for everyone's input. After speaking with students at both schools and doing more in-depth research RWJMS's program fit what I was looking for!