Howdy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrump

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the boards, so might as well introduce myself:
  • 35 this year.
  • Dad to the world's most awe-inspiring kid.
  • 5-year marriage to the world's most awe-inspiring wife.
  • Original undergrad 1990-1994, with a glide-path GPA that started as a 3.9 and wound up on academic probation. Dropped out in 1994.
  • 10 years in the internet industry, most of them in Northern California.
  • Paramedic school last year while working fulltime and doing the dad thing, so I at least know I can balance harsh school demands with everything else (passmark was 80: A was 94-100, so 87-93 got you a B and 80-86 a C).
  • Cumulative GPA since 2000 (when I went back to school) is 3.6, 4.0 sciences. I have no real idea how to estimate my actual cumulative incorporating the old stuff and the new stuff, but I'm sure one of you can set me straight. :D
  • Hope to complete bachelor's + prereqs in the next 3 years or so.
  • Hopefully will start applying around 2010 (at 39), and be "done" by 46.
  • Strongly subscribe to "I can be 46 or I can be 46 and a doctor" and "it's only too late after the funeral" camps.
  • Targeting UNM: we'll be moving to ABQ in a few years to establish residency (my wife's family is there: her support system will be crucial).
So, some editorializing: paramedic school isn't medical school, but the end result, to a degree, is the same: you're operating in an environment where you're making the call, whether it's in the back of the bus twenty minutes from the nearest cath lab or you're in the trauma bay running a code. If you go looking for reasons not to do either career (paramedic or doctor), you can find them in spades, and we all know the litany:
  • The medical field ain't what it used to be.
  • The medical field was never what it used to be.
  • The money sucks.
  • The hours suck.
  • The recognition sucks.
  • It's incredibly hard work for the opportunity to be humiliated by nature, abused by the healthcare industry and exploited by The Man.
  • An awful lot of your patients die without you ever figuring out why.
  • An awful lot of your patients live without you ever figuring out why.
  • It takes forever, and did I mention that the money su...right.
My wife is an optimist. I, to put it lightly, am not. But, you know, I am on this. Because being a doctor gives you the chance to make a life's worth of difference for someone every single day, again, and again, and again. And, God bless 'em, I love my patients. I love the frequent fliers. I love the complainers, the hypochondriacs, the addicts who just won't stop: bring them all to me. Because everyone has a story. Everyone.

And, you know, I've earned my idealism, because I had it when I was younger, and then I lost it, and then I got it back again after a lot of rough road: this time I'm keeping it. People matter. Every single person. And I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be than in that ED when the chips are down trying to give someone just one more minute, or their ninth life, or to help them welcome the unexpected kid, or, when it comes down to it, to be there with them when their number's up so they're not alone.

It's kind of funny: experienced paramedics tend to try to use the same arguments on new paramedics: it's hell, you have no idea what you're getting into, you'll wind up hating it, etcetera, etcetera, ad nauseum infinitum. And I have the same answer for all callers on that frequency: if you hate it so much, quit and go do what you love to do. Because I didn't come for the money or the lifestyle or because I thought it'd be keen. I came because I was called to it, and I could no more not come than I could not breathe. I'd do it for free.

So, anyway, here I am, and you are all inspiring (some more than others: hi, blee!), and I hope to learn a huge amount from all of you and someday put my name up there as an MS1. Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you'll have a great personal statement!
Concerning figuring your cum GPA, figure out your previous GPA times your previous number of credit hours and then your current GPA times your current number of credit hours, add them together and divide by total credit hours. (Am I right guys?)
Those old grades never go away, but there are quite a few individuals who have overcame a bad past GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you'll have a great personal statement!
Concerning figuring your cum GPA, figure out your previous GPA times your previous number of credit hours and then your current GPA times your current number of credit hours, add them together and divide by total credit hours. (Am I right guys?)
Those old grades never go away, but there are quite a few individuals who have overcame a bad past GPA.

Right on all three counts. :) :thumbup:

Awesome. Thanks to all three of you.

From one old-timer and former medic to another: welcome, scrump! I started back to undergrad when I was 35 as well... and here I am at 39 as an MSI. It's TOTALLY doable. Hard, frustrating, but doable. And absolutely worth it.

From one old-timer and former medic to another: welcome, scrump! I started back to undergrad when I was 35 as well... and here I am at 39 as an MSI. It's TOTALLY doable. Hard, frustrating, but doable. And absolutely worth it.
Thanks for the encouragement: I'll freely cop to paying an unusual amount of attention to your posts because of some of our similarities.