How's dental school like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go1f4par

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions regarding dental school. I would be greatly appreciated if you guys could answer them.
a) How big are classes?
b) Are the classes mainly listening to lecture or more of group work and presentations?
c) Is there summer breaks for dental students or do they have to do internship or rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

For UCSF:

1. As big as your class - about 80 people.
2. All classes are lecture format with basic sciences being also podcast.
3. Summer free between D1 and D2

1. 80 people
2. Listening to lecture, taking notes, sleeping:sleep:
3. No summers off at my school. You get a 2 week break at the end of the D1 year and a 3 week break before the start of the D2 year. Classes for most of the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. 111 people
2. basic sciences are lecture and sim clinics are hands on
3. there are no classes after d1 but we take our boards then. other than that, all other summers are devoted to clinic.

1. 80 people
2. Listening to lecture, taking notes, sleeping:sleep:
3. No summers off at my school. You get a 2 week break at the end of the D1 year and a 3 week break before the start of the D2 year. Classes for most of the summer.

So a 5 week continuous break?

So a 5 week continuous break?

No its separated. After the D1 year ends you get 2 weeks off in May. Then we return for the remainder of May, June and part of July. Then before the D2 year starts in August you get like 3 weeks off.

a) 37 People
b) Lecture and Clinic
c) There is only summer break for the first years and a week off for the 3rd years or something like that.

1. all 142 of us in lectures at the same time
2. all powerpoint lectures
3. have 4 weeks at the end of june for summer.

this is uop...so things are different b/c of the 3 yr program...

I have some questions regarding dental school. I would be greatly appreciated if you guys could answer them.
a) How big are classes?

b) Are the classes mainly listening to lecture or more of group work and presentations?

All of the above-
1) Tutorial/Discussion/PBL
2) Lectures- so far only about 1 or 2 hours of lecture per day at the medical school. And 2-3 lectures per week at the dental school.

c) Is there summer breaks for dental students or do they have to do internship or rotation?

8 weeks "off"- We have to do a required research project during that 8 weeks off, which can be done anywhere in the world.

Harvard

Baylor:
a) How big are classes? 100- once in a while small groups of 15 or so....
b) Are the classes mainly listening to lecture or more of group work and presentations? lecture almost always
c) Is there summer breaks for dental students or do they have to do internship or rotation? we get 12 weeks after 1st year and then 2 weeks in May and 4 weeks in July/August the other two summers...