How's my lists of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRanger

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my lists so far...any input?

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
Drexel University
University of Southern California - Keck
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
New York University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science University
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of Nevada School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine

My stats:
3.75 Overall GPA, 3.81 BCPM
MCAT - 10VR, 9PS, 11BS, Q (<--this is what killed me :( )
Good ECs - hospital volunteer, research for 3 years, work, medical mission to developing countries, leadership position.
Good LORs..I think - 2 of them my professors let me look at it.
CA resident, asian male

Members don't see this ad.

your list of schools is pretty similar to mine!!

I think (but I'm no expert), that your GPA gives you a pretty high chance of getting into one of those schools. A few things to consider..

Loma Linda--you ok with the religious atmosphere?
UWash--have you done a lot with disadvantaged populations? if not, dont bother applying, their admissions rate is RIDICULOUSLY low

Penn State--any reason you're applying here? I believe its mostly penn residents, and its in HERSHEY, which is... mehhhhhhhh

You might want to add a few more "backup" mid-tier schools, if you want more of a comfort zone, to be more sure you'll get into 1 place this cycle... the process is just so random =/.

good luck!

I think i'm fine with Loma Linda. I was a little skeptic too at first because I heard they're really strict about their policy. I mean i'm religious too (i went to catholic high school and regularly go to church), but I also like to party and drink once in a while. But I think i'll be fine.
I think I'll take out penn state, University of Nevada, and WashU.

I might add in temple university and New york medical college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think i'm gonna delete UWash, and UCLA/Drew, and U of Nevada.

I might add temple, but i'm actually deciding if I should drop drexel because I heard the location isn't very nice. I've never visited any of the med schools so I'm mostly deciding it based on location, and I heard temple and drexel are located in the not so nice area. But then they're one of my "match" schools so I'm thinking I should probably keep them...hmmm.

And i'm also thinking of adding Gtown, NYMC, GW, and VCU. Good idea?
If you guys know anything about any of these schools and wanna give input, please do.

I think your list is fine but Stanford may be a waste of your money, they are heavily geared toward research (unless you have had extensive research exp as your profile isn't detailed enough). A friend of mine got into stanford with a 30mcat (caucasion) but had a first author in J biochem (and a second first author manuscript) and a fulbright. I think unless you can improve your mcat, it may be a very long shot for stanford. He was also a 4.0 and had a masters in biochem

I looked at your mdapps, and it says "South Asian American URM." Just a heads up though, applicants from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, and Southeast Asia are not considered underrepresented.

hahaha yea i'm not a URM...just ignore my MDapp, I forgot my password so I couldn't update my profile. If I was a URM i'll be looking at schools like harvard, duke, JHU, etc..

But do you think my school is reasonable? I'm basing my decision mostly on location and I wanna go to either west coast or east coast.

so new updated list, and i'm trying to keep it 20 or under cause app fees are just so damn expensive:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
University of Southern California - Keck
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
New York University
New York Medical College
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science University
Stanford University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of California San Diego
University of California San Francisco
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine