How's My Plan?

Started by grizzword
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

grizzword

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a non-science B.A. and a GPA of 3.4. I have decided to pursue medicine or perhaps dentistry. I took my GE classes for my B.A. at a community college and am now going back to community college. Money is a huge factor in this decision. I am planning on finishing some of the pre-requisites at a good California community college and then finish them at a formal post-bacc program. I did very well in science classes in the past and am getting straight A's so far in community college. I am worried that I will not be a competitive applicant with the community college credits even if I get good grades. Any advice?
 
I have a non-science B.A. and a GPA of 3.4. I have decided to pursue medicine or perhaps dentistry. I took my GE classes for my B.A. at a community college and am now going back to community college. Money is a huge factor in this decision. I am planning on finishing some of the pre-requisites at a good California community college and then finish them at a formal post-bacc program. I did very well in science classes in the past and am getting straight A's so far in community college. I am worried that I will not be a competitive applicant with the community college credits even if I get good grades. Any advice?

If you mean start them at the CC and finish them at the formal post-bacc, call the post-bacc and make sure that they will let you in with this. I'm pretty sure but may be wrong that some do not want you to start your pre-reqs outside of their program. Regarding CC credits, of course it depends on the program. other than that it depends on which schools you are targetting (for MD), i believe DO doesnt care, and i have no idea about dentistry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your GPA is fine for DO programs. I have no idea about dentistry school. It doesn't matter that you are taking classes at a CC, unless you plan on applying to Harvard, Yale or some other allopathic schools that do not accept them. All DO schools accept CC credits.