How's the pay at Kaplan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistro4321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my DATs and am interested in working for Kaplan as a teacher/tutor. Does anyone know how much the average monthly wage would be? What are the weekly hours? Also how likely is it that if I am accepted as a teacher that it would be full time? Can you teach and tutor at the same time as well? Any help would be great thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my DATs and am interested in working for Kaplan as a teacher/tutor. Does anyone know how much the average monthly wage would be? What are the weekly hours? Also how likely is it that if I am accepted as a teacher that it would be full time? Can you teach and tutor at the same time as well? Any help would be great thanks!

You should make sure they are definitely hiring before you start training. I know of several people that trained for weeks only to be told that they weren't qualified to teach. As it turned out, Kaplan had no intention to hire at that moment. Kind of strange huh?

I believe it's minimum wage for training and something like 14 per hour in my state. The number of hours is low as well. DAT courses just aren't all that popular. You may get more hours if your doing mcat, sat, etc.

But don't expect an ass load of hours with just the DAT.

You could probably make more money by posting an ad on craigslist. Their pay rates are a joke and there is little compensation for class prep (minimum wage).

There are better options than kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
They pay 20 bucks an hour for teaching, 10 bucks an hour for proctoring and 7.50 an hour for prep time for your classes. Usually class meets either twice a week or once a week. So weekly, you're looking at about 85 bucks a class. Of course this is before taxes and all. Hope that helps

Oh yea, teaching rate and tutoring rate is the same, which I think is utter bull****.

Princeton Review is way better, the pay is better and you can work more hours. Kaplan is overstaffed with really nerdy and pathetic English PhDs who can't get a real teaching job. My friends were complaining about how they had a teacher for the Physics portion of the MCATs at Kaplan who never took the MCAT and never took Physics in college. What kind of bull**** is that?