how's your industrial pharmacy course??

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by iphetamine, Jan 6, 2009.

1. iphetamine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm just curious on what your industrial pharmacy course is like, can anyone provide me with some of the course notes or curriculum? any thoughts?

thanks

2. iphetamine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  3. Hels2007

Hels2007 I bite
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I doubt most US pharmacy schools would even have such a course. Maybe some of the East Coast schools would, but I doubt it. It is not required by AACP (as far as I remember, at least), so it would be a once a week elective at best. And again, I don't know how many schools would even have that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. iphetamine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Oh, so it's not common then, like pharmacognosy?

5. Hels2007

Hels2007 I bite

Pharmacist
    Pharmacognosy hasn't been common in US pharmacy schools for at least the last three decades. Some schools may have electives which are somewhat related, but the only people I know here in US who had pharmacognosy as understood, say, in Germany, all graduated prior to 1973...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. iphetamine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    lol, wow.

-.-''

7. Hels2007

Hels2007 I bite

Pharmacist
    Depending on a country, pharmacy education can be very different. In US, it is very much clinically oriented, and very light on sciences, with experimental sciences pretty much non-existent in pharmacy school proper (though several basic science lab courses are necessary to be accepted).

If you are interested in understanding US pharmacy education, I suggest you check out a few different schools' websites (from different regions of the country), and also the AACP website.

8. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I know we have a pharmacognosy elective. We also have several industrial-type electives (drug development, pharmacogenomics, etc...), but nothing required. And most of our pharmacy electives are relatively new courses (they require pharmacy electives starting with my year, c/o 2012), so I don't know how they are.