Hows yours undergrad school premed environment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

School's premed environment

• Not competitive at all

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Sorta competitive

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Fairly competitive

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Really competitive

Votes: 42 31.3%

• Total voters

byeh2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:thumbup: ? :thumbdown: ?

Members don't see this ad.

ut premeds arent smart

My school isn't that competitive at all, partly because of our grading system. There is no curve in any of the classes, so everyone gets the grade that they deserve.

Members don't see this ad :)
The premed classes were dam hard bc everyone here is so freakin smart, making the curves really hard (only the top 15% would get A's next 20% would get Bs).

You did run into the ultra competitive premed every now and then also.

what defines a competitive person?

gunner-like personality
or
good grades?
or both?

I guess UCI is fairly competitive since all the classes except for humanities are curved. But I'm glad its curved in a way, the mean is always 50% in all the classes somehow

Very competitive - huge classes, no curves, profs play favorites, no TAs/SIs

Small pre-med community at UW-Green Bay. Small school so everybody knows each other and usually ends up friends. We were all really supportive of each other. Admittedly I came across a few I didn't like so much, but that happens anywhere.

My school does not have a premed major nor is it anywhere to be seen on the list of undergrad students going to med school. I am actually worried that my school sucks so much that my chances of getting in may be hurt. Georgia State University btw.

It's pathetic. The advisors don't seem very educated on what needs to happen, so you end up with clueless seniors who were told it is a good idea to save all chem-orientated classes for the last year (gen chem, orgo, biochem, etc.) since they're so hard.... because you can totally take them all at the same time in two semesters... and take the MCAT and start applying for med school. :rolleyes:

It isn't very competitive. I'd say most premeds are C-level students. Very few classes even have a curve.

Many people seem capable, others a bit immature. There are people who say things like "I got a C but didn't bother studying for the exam." Errr... why? And then are people who brag "yeah, i'm taking this class for the 3rd time now. I failed the first time, earned a D the second time..." which is equally disheartening.

University of Washington...doesn't seem competitive by reputation, but it's a definately a challenge ("fairly competitive"). :thumbdown:

UC Riverside students are not that competitive but there is always that silly little premed hype going around. Like, "OMG OMG WHAT DID YOU GET ON YOUR BIO TEST!????" Occasionally there are a few that are competitive which can have questionable characters. And then there are people that are pretty awesome to hang out with as they are pretty supportive in your goals and arent as selfish as the hypes.

at wake, we have enough trouble competing with the inbuilt grade deflation

other premeds end up being your support group, even though they can be irritating at times

Members don't see this ad :)
berkeley has the potential to kick your @ss if u're not careful...(kicked mine).

wetlightning said:
at wake, we have enough trouble competing with the inbuilt grade deflation

other premeds end up being your support group, even though they can be irritating at times

At Penn State, people are too wasted to care about their own grades let alone how other kids are doing.

Wow, 15 15 15 15; pretty evenly spread :laugh:.

i dont think most premeds are competitive, but the ones that are stick in my mind immediately. There usually the ones that straight up ask for your GPA and mcat out of nowhere.

Abe said:
i dont think most premeds are competitive, but the ones that are stick in my mind immediately. There usually the ones that straight up ask for your GPA and mcat out of nowhere.

man if i was in your position, I would be like "middle finger", and walk away

I avoid most of the premeds at my school (Michigan State). Too focused on just passing pre-reqs or trying to get a good grade. And in the upper-levels, most only care about getting a good grade, they don't want any information other than what they need to pass the test.

I much prefer the pre-PhD students. They are interested in the classes, ask decent questions, pay attention, make good study partners. They just tend to not give a crap about people, in general (hence PhD, not MD).

straight majors are awesome

Most of my friends are not premed because of the hype in my school, but they are pre dents, vets, and pharms

berkeley has its fair share of gunners. not all the gunners are in your face about it and flaunting and not willing to help, but damn do they study alot and ace every class. i am amazed how there are so many 3.9s when the classes are pretty damn hard. the hard truth is, an insane number of people come here as pre-med, and the enormous pre-req classes are designed to trim and weed, and i have to say, they do some good weeding. the people who are left standing are the best of the best, so i am guessing thats why i see so many 3.9s.

but hey, if u can make it at berkeley, i guarantee u that u can make it at any medical school.

There are alot of people who try to front at my alma mater as kids who are not super competitive. Ha.. ha.. ha.. ha............such a transparent front they have! Many of those kids will do things behind each other's back just to get a step ahead in the pre-med game. This one trick, decided she was going to covertly sneak into hwk drop box room for the econ dep and steal all her classmates homework so they would not get credit. Tooooooooooooooooooo bad for her that she got caught! What a premed!!

But there are others (I'd like to include myself in this grp) who are laid back, very chill, participate in EC's b/c they like them, and still do pretty well in their classes.

man i don't care what anyone says wash u was psycho. hence the post bac.

markboonya said:
berkeley has its fair share of gunners. not all the gunners are in your face about it and flaunting and not willing to help, but damn do they study alot and ace every class. i am amazed how there are so many 3.9s when the classes are pretty damn hard. the hard truth is, an insane number of people come here as pre-med, and the enormous pre-req classes are designed to trim and weed, and i have to say, they do some good weeding. the people who are left standing are the best of the best, so i am guessing thats why i see so many 3.9s.

but hey, if u can make it at berkeley, i guarantee u that u can make it at any medical school.

sigh.. yes.. berkeley.. has probabaly the most smart&competitive people (i mean as in numbers)

Everyone comes in as premed during freshman orientation, but by the time MCAT's roll around there are only a few of us left standing.

In many ways, I'm satisfied with my decision to go the cheap in-state school route for undergrad, yet I occasionally question the true quality of my education in comparison to that provided at other state or private universities. I definitely hold the view that a formal education is entirely what you make of it, yet in terms of class size, laboratory facilities, and a few apathetic professors (granted, these are likely problems at any school but...), I've entertained a few more regrets than I'd like to admit. Also, I feel that the name-recognition (or lack therof) has hindered my chances at a few med schools, but that's life. :)

In terms of the quality of the pre-med student body, I would say that a gross generalization wouldn't be entirely fair. I know many brilliant people in my classes, but it occasionally becomes difficult to find them amidst the sea of faces in Organic or other "pre-med" classes that can easily top 400- 600 students. (Please note, that I do NOT include myself amongst the "brilliant"--I wish!) :) Still, I think it's important that everyone have a fair chance to pursue their career choice. I think the MCAT is a necessary evil in this respect.

Competition generally isn't too bad except for some science classes (i.e. Biochemistry II... err!) that grant very few A's (i.e. 5/70 students)... It's not fair--1 point away!!!

ACHEM! *down, repressed type-A tendencies, down!* he he.

Oh, well, one more B won't kill me... I'll just add it to the collection! :)

Dajimmers

You bring up a really interesting point that I have thought about quite a bit! I have almost no pre-med friends at my school for many of the same reasons you just mentioned... A few of my closest friends in the sciences are fellow biochem or microbiology majors intending to go the PhD route. I also have a few pre-Vet, pre-Dent, and pharm friends, but not really any pre-med ones! It seems like so many pre-meds are too concerned about the grade rather than the knowledge they take away from the class (and I include myself in this group from time-to-time... *achem* previous post...)

Still, when it comes to overt competition or tripping up others along the way that really just turns me off! :mad: Whenever my friends and I study for our exams together (suffering silently at separate tables in the library quiet sections), we occasionally ask each other questions and always when it comes test time, we're happy for whoever scores the highest, regardless of our own individual performance...

Assuming I make it to med school, it might be a shock to have class with so many other med students localized in one area! I won't have any of my PhD buddies to chill/drink with! :(

Noway said:
My school does not have a premed major nor is it anywhere to be seen on the list of undergrad students going to med school. I am actually worried that my school sucks so much that my chances of getting in may be hurt. Georgia State University btw.

HEY! Me too.... and what about our advisement office?!? wtf- thez dont know anything, and just tell me to look on the aamc website... :mad:

frostynorthwind said:
In many ways, I'm satisfied with my decision to go the cheap in-state school route for undergrad, yet I occasionally question the true quality of my education in comparison to that provided at other state or private universities. I definitely hold the view that a formal education is entirely what you make of it, yet in terms of class size, laboratory facilities, and a few apathetic professors (granted, these are likely problems at any school but...), I've entertained a few more regrets than I'd like to admit. Also, I feel that the name-recognition (or lack therof) has hindered my chances at a few med schools, but that's life. :)

In terms of the quality of the pre-med student body, I would say that a gross generalization wouldn't be entirely fair. I know many brilliant people in my classes, but it occasionally becomes difficult to find them amidst the sea of faces in Organic or other "pre-med" classes that can easily top 400- 600 students. (Please note, that I do NOT include myself amongst the "brilliant"--I wish!) :) Still, I think it's important that everyone have a fair chance to pursue their career choice. I think the MCAT is a necessary evil in this respect.

Competition generally isn't too bad except for some science classes (i.e. Biochemistry II... err!) that grant very few A's (i.e. 5/70 students)... It's not fair--1 point away!!!

ACHEM! *down, repressed type-A tendencies, down!* he he.

Oh, well, one more B won't kill me... I'll just add it to the collection! :)

Our chem 1a class had 1600 people in it. There were three separate lectures plus webcast just to accomodate so many people

Our orgo I class had about 1000 people in it. Two lectures.

BlinkyCat said:
Ouch..they're not THAT bad...:)
bad enough, there are so many washups by now. its a state school, what can be expected. i knew i shouldve applied to more colleges. its rare for any ut premeds that actually make it to apps to venture out of state for med, usually not by choice. my princeton mcat class was filled with teen and twenty something scoring ut premeds, it was very disappointing and i eventually started skipping.

Classes in which your grade is determined relative to the rest of the class are typically competitive. And why shouldn't they be? You are competing for grades. The worse the rest of the class does, the better you do. It is sad but true.

True but you also have to realize that the people around you are not really your competitors persay but the true opposition lies within yourself. You are your one and only competitor and the person in you is the opponent of this whole premed game. Who gives a crap about other people.

byeh2004 said:
True but you also have to realize that the people around you are not really your competitor persay but the true opposition lies within yourself. You are your one and only competitor and the person in you is opponent of this whole premed game. Who gives a crap about other people.

Is this referring to what I said? If my grade is being curved based on the class average, which is normally around, say, a 55, and I score a 70, I earn an 'A' on that test if my professor curves to a 75. If, however, the class average is a 57 and my professor curves to a 75, then I earn an 88, which, at my school, is a 'B+'. So, in this case, although it is best to focus on how well one does himself, the fact is your grade is determined on how well the others do in the class.

I didn't really feel any competition. Most pre meds tended to hang out together. There was the group that was actually smart (AKA MY GROUP! j/k) and then the group of party pre meds that always seemed to get their hands on an old exam and would get caught cheating on exams....

At least with my fellow pre-med friends...I felt no competition

Karina

byeh2004 said:
True but you also have to realize that the people around you are not really your competitors persay but the true opposition lies within yourself. You are your one and only competitor and the person in you is the opponent of this whole premed game. Who gives a crap about other people.

PER SE

Shredder said:
bad enough, there are so many washups by now. its a state school, what can be expected. i knew i shouldve applied to more colleges. its rare for any ut premeds that actually make it to apps to venture out of state for med, usually not by choice. my princeton mcat class was filled with teen and twenty something scoring ut premeds, it was very disappointing and i eventually started skipping.

why would we venture out of the state when there are good schools and texas has some of the cheapest med school tuition out there?

rjgennarelli said:
Classes in which your grade is determined relative to the rest of the class are typically competitive. And why shouldn't they be? You are competing for grades. The worse the rest of the class does, the better you do. It is sad but true.

At my school, for first year anyways, the courses *have* to maintain an average of 65-68% or they get in trouble by the Faculty (or so I hear). So all my classes had C and C+ averages in the end. I was talking to the course coordinator for my physics class, and he said that he doesn't care about individual student performance. All he cares about is the class average.

So we are really just fighting against the average. It is not uncommon to hear someone say "Oh (insert random name) failed the last test? well at least he/she is bringing down the average!" so if you score better than the mean and they adjust the marks up, then YAHOO!

On another note, we have huge class sizes, so it's near impossible to compete with another student. In some classes, you check your mark online, and all you know is what you got, what the average was, the standard deviation, and sometimes the mark break down (234 people got Cs, 198 got Bs...)

Oh another thing. In the classes I took anyways, for test sometimes they gave everyone and extra 5% or so, to get the average they wanted. But they never took marks away from us :) . But if the average was 76% on the first test, the second test will be really hard and have an average of 54%. Then the profs will yell at you and say you got cocky after the first test and didn't study for the second test, thats why we all did bad ---> Sorry, I had a bad experience in physical chemistry... BAH!

Shredder said:

Actually, I take that back. I agree! I'm taking classes at UT right now, and professors here talk so slow, like talking to little babies. I hate it. In biochem, everybody gets confused all the time, and the test was so easy I thought everybody was going to score an A which didn't happen. That's sad...so sad!! I wonder how these people going to take the MCAT without knowing basic chem....How are they going to save lives if you can't understand something after the professor repeated like three times!!! Nobody is going to go...oops..she died..ok..now try again...oops..died again...try again...good gracious! Sorry guys, I'm just depressed cuz I feel like I'm not intellectually challenged...I can't wait until med school... :(

Sidenote: Shredder, are you going to apply to Penn? Penn has a good business program. :) If you're doing md/mba, I am confident that that is the place to be :)

BlinkyCat said:
Actually, I take that back. I agree! I'm taking classes at UT right now, and professors here talk so slow, like talking to little babies. I hate it. In biochem, everybody gets confused all the time, and the test was so easy I thought everybody was going to score an A which didn't happen. That's sad...so sad!! I wonder how these people going to take the MCAT without knowing basic chem....How are they going to save lives if you can't understand something after the professor repeated like three times!!! Nobody is going to go...oops..she died..ok..now try again...oops..died again...try again...good gracious! Sorry guys, I'm just depressed cuz I feel like I'm not intellectually challenged...I can't wait until med school... :(

Sidenote: Shredder, are you going to apply to Penn? Penn has a good business program. :) If you're doing md/mba, I am confident that that is the place to be :)
yeah...ut can be kinda annoying. my mcat classmates had such terrible fundamentals, youre right they could never be in life saving positions. all everyone cares about is football and bball. profs often solicit feedback from classes too and nobody ever speaks up, and this holds up the pace of the class. i think people should just say something and get on with it, rather than leaving profs standing there like idiots. and im not a suck up. for ppl at good schools, do you face the silent class situation, or are students not afraid to speak up now and then?

no penn, harvard, or stanford. their med schools are too picky for me to get into. i have the numbers but no pubs or significant ECs. i am looking at other good biz schools though, NW and dartmouth in particular.

relema the mediocre tx premeds (save rice) are the ones who fill up tx med schools, and concerning price you usually get what you pay for in life. case in point, compare cost of living in tx (and houston for sure) to san francisco and new york.

There isn't too much competition where I am from because plain and simple...not everyone is equal. If everyone had the same capacity, background and intel. level then there would be competition. The only competition is at the very top. If you are an A student your not competing with the D student even though they are in your class.

i'm not sure...i'm currently in engineering :smuggrin: