HPSP and taxes

Started by drsomeday1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drsomeday1

Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am an Idaho resident going to dental school on Army HPSP in California. This is my first year and I receive my sign-on bonus in a few weeks. I wanted to keep my Idaho residency because I heard that military income in Idaho isn't taxed (I know that most other states do). Can anyone verify that my stipend and bonus won't be taxed as long as I stay a resident of Idaho? Otherwise, how much did others get taken out from taxes in other states? I just want to know what to expect.
 
Last edited:
You won't have to pay Idaho state income tax if what you say is true. You will still have to pay FEDERAL taxes on your stipend and bonus. Just be sure to say you live in idaho when you fill out your W-2. PA also does not charge state income tax for military last I heard