HPSP Application Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm just getting started on those essays for my AFHPSP App and was looking for any guidance on the length of them. Obviously, there's the main essay, which I assume is 1-2 pages:

1. What are your objectives and reasons for desiring an air force commission as a health care professional?

But how long should the other 9 questions be?

1. Why did you choolse this specialty?
2. What do you believe are your most significant accomplishments?
3. Identify any significant awards, scholarships or other recognitions you have received.
4. Describe any community service activities, including positions held and responsibilities.
5. List any research, publications or teaching experiences you have accomplished.
6. What are you short-term goals (5 yrs)?
7. What are your long-term goals?
8. What do yo find appealing about Air Force Health Professions?
9. Why should you be selected? What do you have to offer the AF?

It seems that some of those can almost be pulled directly from my dental school app personal statement.

Obviously I'm not looking for answers to these questions. Although if there is any content they would really like to see, feel free to let me know!

I know the answers, but i would expect each of these to be maybe half a page single-spaced typed. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I'm just getting started on those essays for my AFHPSP App and was looking for any guidance on the length of them. Obviously, there's the main essay, which I assume is 1-2 pages:

1. What are your objectives and reasons for desiring an air force commission as a health care professional?

But how long should the other 9 questions be?

1. Why did you choolse this specialty?
2. What do you believe are your most significant accomplishments?
3. Identify any significant awards, scholarships or other recognitions you have received.
4. Describe any community service activities, including positions held and responsibilities.
5. List any research, publications or teaching experiences you have accomplished.
6. What are you short-term goals (5 yrs)?
7. What are your long-term goals?
8. What do yo find appealing about Air Force Health Professions?
9. Why should you be selected? What do you have to offer the AF?

It seems that some of those can almost be pulled directly from my dental school app personal statement.

Obviously I'm not looking for answers to these questions. Although if there is any content they would really like to see, feel free to let me know!

I know the answers, but i would expect each of these to be maybe half a page single-spaced typed. What do you think?

Mine were no more than a half page......I think it said somewhere on the app. that it should only take you two full pages to answer them...unless they changed the application since last year......I don't think they are looking for anything in particular, as long as you don't say something like "all I want is the money and I don't care about serving my country at all," I'm sure anything you say will be fine as long as it's honest........If you're matrix qualified, these essay questions don't really matter much at all as long as you apply early.....but if you are not, definitely take your time on these, but don't over-do them either....

Great tips! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently working on my Navy 'motivational essay'. My reasons for pursuing the HPSP are pretty bland and simple; it will provide me an opportunity to practice my skills under supervision, I could work around the world, and I get school paid for. It's hard to write a convincing essay with these motives, but it's honestly why I want to join for 3-4 years. Is it important to have patriotic motivations or will personal reasons suffice. I will be honest in the essay, I just wanted to hear some feedback from people involved with the application or military.

I'm currently working on my Navy 'motivational essay'. My reasons for pursuing the HPSP are pretty bland and simple; it will provide me an opportunity to practice my skills under supervision, I could work around the world, and I get school paid for. It's hard to write a convincing essay with these motives, but it's honestly why I want to join for 3-4 years. Is it important to have patriotic motivations or will personal reasons suffice. I will be honest in the essay, I just wanted to hear some feedback from people involved with the application or military.

Honestly, my recruiter sent me a couple of examples (which I thought weren't that great, I might add) and I wrote the thing in about an hour. I think it was around 1 page.

The funny thing is, he led me to believe that the essay was a minor thing and I shouldn't get to wrapped up in it, and then I get to Ft. Sam Houston and they tell us that it is the only thing that sets our app apart from other! Haha I felt like an idiot, but I knew I wrote an honest, well-written essay.

Just like you said, I wrote about some of the pros of being a military dentist and expressed my admiration for those in the military and pretty much left it at that. Seemed to work out just fine...