HPSP Application Timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegoatest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know the HPSP application timeline for each branch of the military? I am applying to dental schools this cycle, and my AF recruiter told me the cutoff deadline to apply for the HPSP scholarship is July 29th. Am I late in the application process? Should I apply to other branches as a backup plan, or is that frowned upon?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of threads on this. You need to start your application now because their is a good bit of paperwork and you'll prob have to fix it a couple times before it's good. I think I also did my meps physical around this time of year, but again you have to have your paperwork finished before you can do that. Some people say their recruiter sent their packet off to get viewed before Dec 1, but in my experience most require a firm acceptance to a school before they send it off. I'm in the navy so air force could be different, but that's about how it goes for army too.

The biggest issue if finding a recruiter that's worth a damn, my army one wasn't but my navy recruiter was an all star. It can go either way though. If they know you are applying to other branches I think they are more inclined to not give you as much attention because it is a process for them too with all the paperwork.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in dental school right now and an email was sent to all the students a month ago. It was about AF HPSP and it stated that the deadline was July 29th too.
However, that's only regarding the three year / two year scholarship.

It does seem it is a bit weird for the 4 year scholarship deadline to be so early, but it wouldn't hurt to start early. The AF lets you do MEPS after selection anyways so you can probably get a lot of the stuff done by July 29th. It'd just be sending in your transcript, resume, LoR.

If I were you, I would apply to other branches too. Especially since the 4 year AF scholarship seem to range from 0 to no more than 10 depending on the year.

If you got other questions:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/c-o-2021-hpsp-thread-army-af-navy.1204873/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in dental school right now and an email was sent to all the students a month ago. It was about AF HPSP and it stated that the deadline was July 29th too.
However, that's only regarding the three year / two year scholarship.

It does seem it is a bit weird for the 4 year scholarship deadline to be so early, but it wouldn't hurt to start early. The AF lets you do MEPS after selection anyways so you can probably get a lot of the stuff done by July 29th. It'd just be sending in your transcript, resume, LoR.

If I were you, I would apply to other branches too. Especially since the 4 year AF scholarship seem to range from 0 to no more than 10 depending on the year.

If you got other questions:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/c-o-2021-hpsp-thread-army-af-navy.1204873/
Thank you! That is very helpful. Do you know if it would hurt my chances with the AF if I applied to other branches? I've heard they can see if you have. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 24 AA, so I'm honestly hesitant to try for other branches. I appreciate your insight on this.

Thank you! That is very helpful. Do you know if it would hurt my chances with the AF if I applied to other branches? I've heard they can see if you have. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 24 AA, so I'm honestly hesitant to try for other branches. I appreciate your insight on this.
As far as I know, there is a way for them to tell aside from you telling them. And that is if you did MEPS.

For example, if you did MEPS on July 1st with the Navy, your army recruiter will try to schedule you for MEPS again and see that you have already done MEPS.

However, that's your recruiter. Your recruiter isn't on the admission committee. But they are still the ones that put everything together for you to be sent off to the admission committee. So if they are less than enthusiastic about meeting the deadlines, then you're kinda screwed.

With that said, both the recruiters I have worked with have been very professional about it. Although there are horror stories posted on SDN, most of the problems is due to lack of communication. If your recruiter gives you an attitude, you can always find a different one.