Navy HPSP Re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golfballer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been named an alternate for this year's 4 year HPSP. I only applied to the Navy. There is still plenty of time before school begins in the Fall so I am hoping that sometime in the next couple months I will be selected. If not, I intend on applying for the 3 year HPSP in the next cycle. I have a few questions about this.

Does anybody know how that process generally works? Would I need to re-attend MEPS? Have my LOR's resent? Or would I basically just roll over the whole application to the next cycle? I am asking here first because my recruiter seems new to the game and I would like to have a general strategy on how to move forward if necessary.

Also, if I apply for the 3 year HPSP, can I also apply for the 3 year HSCP at the same time or would I have to choose? I am attending my home state's dental school with a lower end tuition so the HSCP doesn't look like a bad gig.

I have seen some people on SDN say that if you are a 4 year HPSP alternate that applies for the 3 HPSP year, then you are essentially guaranteed the 3 year spot. Is that really the case? Does that hold true if applying for HSCP?

Golfballer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, which branch(es) did you apply to, and if you only applied to one are you looking to apply to other branches for the 3 year?

I only applied to Navy. I am open to applying to other branches in the next cycle.

Last edited:
Navy will automatically roll you into the 3 year, so long as you are on the OML. The will issue those scholarships sometime in July/August. If you want to apply to another branch, your medical jacket (information from MEPS) can be requested to be transferred over to another branch, you will not have to go to MEPS again, but you will have to re-fill out all of the forms to exactly match what you provided when you applied to the Navy which will take some time because not all of the paperwork is identical. As for letters of reccomendation, they expire after 1 year's time, so you will have to procure new letters more than likely, and obviously have a new personal statement that is tailored to the branch you are applying. The army will have very few scholarships, this cycle for the 3 year there were 126 applicants for 10 spots, the air force on the other hand I believe had 50-60 3 year scholarships.

Last year when I applied for the navy they put around 40 of us on the oml for the 3 year, 20ish of us came off of it I believe, it could be less this year, not sure, it isn't a guarantee any longer, the last 2 years has seen a massive spike in the number of applicants, I know some people with incredible credentials that were not offered a spot either, so it isn't even indicative of your application package for non-selection.

Regarding the HPSC, when you applied for the HPSP, there is a form that ranks your choice to apply to all of the programs, those spots I believe were gone first last application cycle, and i'm not even sure if they do a 3 year HPSC any longer.

Reactions: 1 users