Dec 4, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi,

I am applying to MD programs and already qualified for HPSP. I talk about HPSP in my medical school apps but am having second thoughts about doing HPSP. Is it ok if I decide not to take the HPSP in the end once I matriculate into medical school?

I know HPSP is not legally binding, but I just want to make sure it's ok if I back out.

I recently heard of the MSSP program and the flexibility you have with civilian residency and am considering that route instead.

Thanks Y'all

dpmd

Relaxing
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Lazytown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you haven't actually committed to it I think it is fine to change your mind. Sounds like you are still considering the military so it isn't like you are making your app a total lie

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I had the same dilemma ~ 3/4 years ago and here is what I decided (hope it helps / sorry if there is a rule against posting thread links):

About the Ads

YouEverHadOurSausages?

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was in this exact position and turned it down. Ended up going back to the scholarship midway through first year. Your school doesn’t care, and your recruiter just wants to up their numbers. Do whatever is best for you.

Reactions: 1 user

BunnyMan17

5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I was one of those pre-meds and I applied to navy HPSP, army HPSP, and USU. I eventually selected USU but didn't tell any of the recuriters that until the eleventh hour. The navy recruiter didn't care and the army recruiter was the one of the top 10 nicest guys I've ever met so I actually felt bad when I told him (he sounded like a rejected puppy). But overall it was fine. As long as you haven't taken any of the money there's not much they can do.

Dec 4, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So if you write about HPSP in secondaries but then decide it's not for you and back out it's ok?

Thanks guys, I was nervous about med schools moreso than the recruiters.

YouEverHadOurSausages?

2+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So if you write about HPSP in secondaries but then decide it's not for you and back out it's ok?

It’s completely okay. People change their mind all the time and the school doesn’t pay any attention to HPSP.

BunnyMan17

5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Yeah man, I mean how are they even gonna know? The only difference on their end is where the money comes from and that wont show up until close to day one I believe. I promise you no civillian med school is gonna follow up after an acceptance and be like "oh wait, you never comissioned?? No med school for you!"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads