HR-7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sponsored by Representatives Kenny Hulshof (R-MO) and Bill Lipinski (D-IL),the "Education Savings and School Excellence Act" (HR 7) would reverse an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) ruling that makes both the scholarship and stipend of the National Health Scholarship Corps (NHSC) award and the F. Edward Hebert Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program fully subject to taxation.

Until the IRS ruling, taxes were withheld only from the monthly stipend. This position runs in contradiction to the purpose of the programs, which is to provide incentives for health professionals to practice in our neediest communities. Enacted more than 20 years ago, the NHSC Scholarship Program provides medical students with scholarships to cover tuition and fees, as well as a stipend for living expenses. In exchange, NHSC scholars commit to serve after graduation in areas where it is difficult to recruit health professionals.

For some students receiving these scholarships, the income tax liability will exceed students' monthly stipends leaving them with no money for living expenses. By issuing this ruling, the IRS provides a disincentive for student participation in these programs at a time when there is a shortage of health care professionals in medically underserved areas.

Click here to contact your Representative before April 4 to help support HR-7.

Please feel free to discuss HR-7 below! Also, let us know if you have sent an email support for HR-7!

Members don't see this ad.

I sent one to my rep and the rep for the district the school is in.

Lee, thank you for posting this information!

I am currently working on my application materials and will apply to several DO/MPH programs in June. I plan to compete for the NHSC Scholarship Program after I receive an acceptance. Furthermore, as a member of the Armed Forces for over 10 years, I have met a handful of doctors who participated in the F. Edward Hebert Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program. Afterwards, they went on to serve in the military with dedication and pride. I personally want to thank you for bringing this subject to everyone?s attention.

I sent an e-mail message to Rep. Gonzalez of the 20th District of Texas.

RDJ

[This message has been edited by RDJ (edited 04-01-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up, I just sent one to Rep Mark Green from here in Wisconsin!

Thanks to those that have taken the time to send their Representative an e-mail message.

The vote has been delayed on HR-7! If you haven't sent your e-mail in support of HR-7, please send it today! No matter what level of education (medical, graduate, undergrad), your voice will count on this issue.

Go to the main-page of the StudentDoctor Network to learn more. http://www.studentdoctor.net

[This message has been edited by Lee A Burnett (edited 04-05-2000).]

Thanks for the notice! Just sent my email...