HS Senior Schedule

Czen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a soon to be senior, and (hopefully) soon-soon (later than 1 soon) to be pre-veterinarian student at (more hopefully) U of I (University of Illinois). I wanted some insight on my schedule, and whether or not I should add some, or take out some classes

They are:

AP Chemistry
AP Biology
AP Government
Economics
Trig
College Algebra
Pre-Calc
English 12

I can't remove Gov, Econ, or Eng 12 (required)

AP Prob & Stats will be available next year, and I was wondering if I should take that in place of the other math classes... because one of the freshmen classes at U of I is prob and stats, and if i could get a 4 or 5 on the AP Exam... that would save some money

Anyways, any insight will be super helpful

Thanks,
Czen

Also, I apologize if this in a wrong section (I'm new)

Mega Also:

What kind of volunteer work should I be doing
Right now I am in Key Club International (former secretary)
I was considering picking up a volunteer sign-up sheet from my local Animal Shelter, but would any volunteer experience in the health field work?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you on the trimester system or something? If not, how do you intend to take Trigonometry, College Algebra, and Pre-calculus all at the same time? Don't those courses overlap significantly anyway?

Are you on the trimester system or something? If not, how do you intend to take Trigonometry, College Algebra, and Pre-calculus all at the same time? Don't those courses overlap significantly anyway?

Sorry, should've pointed that out

Trig is 1 semester
College Alg is 1 semester
Pre-Calc is 2 semesters

Members don't see this ad :)
Load up on everything you feel comfortable taking. Challenging yourself now will payoff big time in college. Having taken AP Chem and Bio will make those courses (or the upperlevels if you test out) much easier in college.

Also, volunteering in anything is helpful for undergraduate apps. Do whatever interests you. High school volunteer experiences won't make a lot of difference when you apply to vet school (I think, though I'm not going to vet school), so do whatever interests you!

Enjoy your senior year!

Oh, and I wouldn't sub prob/stats in for your other math courses. Certainly you will need nothing less than College Algebra in terms of math courses for college graduation requirements (if you major in one of the sciences you'll likely have to do Calc I anyway). Prob/stats can wait.

Sorry, should've pointed that out

Trig is 1 semester
College Alg is 1 semester
Pre-Calc is 2 semesters

There are only 2 semesters in a school year at my school (and most others). I'm confused... Regardless that looks like a good schedule. although I recommend you don't place out of Gen Bio and Gen Chem if you get good enough scores on your APs. Jumping right into a sophomore level class at the beginning of your freshman year may not be the best idea. Take Gen Bio and Gen Chem, and due to your AP background, you should be very comfortable with the material.

Volunteering is a great idea and will help your résumé for applying, but make sure you spread your activities out... Don't only focus on medicine or veterinary medicine. I'm not familiar with Illinois, do they offer a combined degree vet program?

Good luck.

You should be good to go. Bio and chem go together well so no worries there. But the only concern is taking 3 math courses such as trig, college alg, and pre-cal. Aren't those courses like pre-reqs for each other. But I'm sure they can be seen as co-reqs so you should have no prob maybe a tad tough with the math part but other than that your good.

Schedule looks doable. Try to volunteer in a hospital if you can.