HS Student interested in MSTP! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazee8

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much research experience do you need to get into a good MSTP program? Which do you think is better a summer research internship at the NIH or independent research at a well-known ivy league medical school?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

How much research experience do you need to get into a good MSTP program?

If you check out the forum this question is debated often. A good rule of thumb would be enough time to get some depth of experience and make some significant contributions (more than a summer). From the people I have talked with on the interview circuit I would say a couple years is fine. Some have more, some less.

This obsession with prestige, is it what drives American science today?

Unfortunately it is also an obsession with rankings.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's great that you're so excited about medical research (although you haven't experienced it yet). Find a lab where the mentorship is good and see if it's something you like to do.

Just be warned... planning too much ahead with so much idealism may create unattainable expections. In other words, beware of perfectionism.
See: http://www.couns.uiuc.edu/Brochures/perfecti.htm

yeah I agree with wgu. It's really great that you are inspired at such a young age. But note that MSTP is a HUGE commitment. If I were you, I'd start working in a research lab (basic science) once in an university just to see if research is what you like. Besides, as you know, undergrad research is a MUST for MSTP admissions. Best Wish. :laugh: :clap:

Stop wasting ppl's time you sluf.

People, crazee8 has been posting in other forums about this same issue, except, she has no clue or interest in any of it. She's feigning interest to waste your time. I wouldnt waste your time, or at least check her history before starting to.

Profunda, don't let that student of the month thing in elementary school get to your head. :rolleyes: Anyways, thanks to everyone who responded! I have done a lot of biochemistry research the past few summers and created a project for Intel that was very intriguing and rewarding and so that's why I was interested in MSTP admissions and such. I am not a crazy perfectionist or anything! :D

The Ivies are great, but you can get tons of experience at any research university during a school year. Look for programs that grant research grants to undergraduates or for faculty members that are real agressive in writing grants and are are thirsty for publications.

Originally posted by BandGeek
The Ivies are great, but you can get tons of experience at any research university during a school year. Look for programs that grant research grants to undergraduates or for faculty members that are real agressive in writing grants and are are thirsty for publications.

Thanks for the insight. How would you know which faculty members are aggressive in writing grants and who are thirsty for publications? Is there any way of finding this? How hard is it to get published? Is being first author or second author possible for an undergraduate?

Thanks! :clap:

Originally posted by crazee8
Thanks for the insight. How would you know which faculty members are aggressive in writing grants and who are thirsty for publications? Is there any way of finding this? How hard is it to get published? Is being first author or second author possible for an undergraduate?

Thanks! :clap:

Publications are great but they are not necessary for MSTP admission. I (as well as many other applicants) have been quite successful without having any publications. FYI, Both of the people I know in the Harvard/MIT MSTP did not have a publication when they were admitted. Im guessing programs are looking for applicants who had an independent project (as Manchotpi said) and know their research well. Good luck and make sure to have as much fun as possible in college.

Originally posted by looseygoosey
Publications are great but they are not necessary for MSTP admission. I (as well as many other applicants) have been quite successful without having any publications. FYI, Both of the people I know in the Harvard/MIT MSTP did not have a publication when they were admitted. Im guessing programs are looking for applicants who had an independent project (as Manchotpi said) and know their research well. Good luck and make sure to have as much fun as possible in college.

I totally agree with looseygoosey. I don't have any publication (at least not right now, a paper of me being a 3rd author was just submitted. And it's from my undergrad), but I do have my own project going on now at NIH. And since it's my project, I know it inside-out, upside-down, whatever from genotyping of mice to designing and planning an experiment. Being able to discuss your project in great detail and to demostrate your ability in research is extremely important.

Looseygoosey, I guess there's a chance we'll end up in the same school, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: