Hscp? Hpsp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license2kill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got accepted to both an expensive private dental school and my state school. I was considering the HPSP scholarship because that is all that I knew that existed, but what is this HSCP deal with the navy? Correct me if I am wrong, but the HSCP works out better if I attend a cheaper in state school right? I was all committed to attending a private school, because it was my first and only acceptance, but with an acceptance to my in state school, I am exploring other options.

I am leaning towards CUSODM heavily because of the cost difference. If you guys can give me some suggestions when considering which branch to join, that would be great. My father was in the army, so I am leaning more towards that direction, but I am undecided as of now. Thanks.

BTW-what is AEGD? Is it better to join the army if I want to specialize?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to stay with the military for 20 years?

I did a 3 year HPSP and used to have excel spreadsheets where I would run through multiple scenarios in an attempt to "squeeze every penny."

I kind of realized that there's really no definitive way to account for all the variables out there. However, on average, I found that if you're going to have more than 180K in debt after 4 years following graduation then the HPSP usually wins out. I chose the HPSP because I would have about 225K in debt JUST from my last three years of school.

I recently have spoken with a few people and started considering the military as a career. My father has suggested I stay with the military because he feels there's so much stress from running a private practice that it's "worth it" to see a smaller paycheck...that and the retirement package is really great!

As such, I may regret the decision to have done HPSP over HSCP. But only time will tell.

Also, look through some of the threads posted at the top of the page...a few enlisted guys do this site a great service explaining the AEGD, HCSP, HPSP, etc in painstakingly repetitive detail!

Members don't see this ad :)
My state school's tuition is 20K a year, so I will fall far short of the 180K that you had mentioned. That is why I am looking towards the HCSP and other alternatives. Is your father a dentist in private practice?

My state school's tuition is 20K a year, so I will fall far short of the 180K that you had mentioned. That is why I am looking towards the HCSP and other alternatives. Is your father a dentist in private practice?

That's really great! 20K a year is "chump change" compared to most schools nowadays.

Yes, my father is in private practice...served in the AF for 4 years active duty and then got out. My grandfather served in the navy as a lifer.