Quantcast

HSDM Acceptance; Interview at Penn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I interview at Penn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

6dent

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi Everyone - I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to Harvard and have full intention of attending. However, next week I have an interview at UPenn and cannot decide if I should go.

I'm not worried about the cost of flying; but, I don't want to waste my time. Given I would certainly choose HSDM over Penn, is there any benefit to going to Penn and (maybe) having an extra acceptance?

Also, would there be any downside to accepting Harvard and interviewing at Penn anyway?

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 user

mainstreeter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
No. It's a waste of your money to interview at Penn if you're set on going to HSDM.

D

deleted632307

Hi Everyone - I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to Harvard and have full intention of attending. However, next week I have an interview at UPenn and cannot decide if I should go.

I'm not worried about the cost of flying; but, I don't want to waste my time. Given I would certainly choose HSDM over Penn, is there any benefit to going to Penn and (maybe) having an extra acceptance?

Also, would there be any downside to accepting Harvard and interviewing at Penn anyway?

Thanks for your help!
I wouldn't even bother... HSDM is better in every way (in my opinion), excluding their PBL curriculum and clinical training in general dentistry.

I assume you want to specialize though, so the latter point is a non-factor

SEW413

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Harvard has a very research based program. Many people in the Boston area say it is lacking clinically. Penn's is more clinically based, with research opportunities if you wish. Taking the interview at Penn really depends on where you want to take your career in dentistry.

Screwtape

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are truly set on Harvard then spend your money elsewhere. If you're going into the interview with an open mind then I would say check it out. If costs aren't an issue.

blablabla1

Orthodontics Resident
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Harvard's cheaper but I personally think Penn has the more well rounded program.

blablabla1

Orthodontics Resident
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

From what I've heard, Harvard is really lacking clinically. I mean, I don't have first hand experience and neither does anyone who hasn't actually attended the school, so I'm just going off hearsay

super frank

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Harvard is really lacking clinically. I mean, I don't have first hand experience and neither does anyone who hasn't actually attended the school, so I'm just going off hearsay
But isn't Penn also lacking pretty heavily?

hockey553

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard (again only word of mouth) Penn and Columbia have made strides clinically while Harvard has not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From interviewing at Harvard, it was implied that if you want to be a general dentist don't go there. If you want to specialize, go into academia, or do research Harvard is the school for you. The first year you don't learn anything dentistry related. They want to integrate oral and systemic health. So yes, the clinical experience is not as great as in other schools.

Reactions: 2 users

PG-Larry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your help!

If im being completely honest with you, I would go to the interview at Penn if money is not an issue for you. Think about why you really want to go to Harvard! It's an amazing school so you have an option. But you NEVER KNOW what might happen if you go to Penn maybe you will like the atmosphere better, maybe when you're there and you've heard about the program you will feel like you will succeed there better. And if you don't get in, it's not problem because you have Harvard!!

Cub2007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what are your gpa/DAT stats? I'm hoping to be asking myself this same question next year.

enghia

Reaction score
if you don't mind spending some more time and money to make an informed decision, then go to the penn interview.