hSDN Class of 2012

I really wish that our GC was more involved with underclassmen... I might suggest it to our principal... It's pretty amazing how little I know about this process.

Members don't see this ad.

I really wish that our GC was more involved with underclassmen... I might suggest it to our principal... It's pretty amazing how little I know about this process.

I know. Our guidance department hasn't really gone in depth with us and expects us to do our own research. Somewhat understandable, but there's some things I shouldn't have to look for (when to ask for LOR's, etc.). Most of the stuff I know is either through College Board or this website.

Just sent an email to my Spanish teacher. I wrote it in Spanish, which I hope she will appreciate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just sent an email to my Spanish teacher. I wrote it in Spanish, which I hope she will appreciate.

I hope you didn't use Google Translate, my spanish teacher always seemed to know :rolleyes: :p

I hope you didn't use Google Translate, my spanish teacher always seemed to know :rolleyes: :p

I didn't, she would have grilled me for it. Plus she was a great teacher, and I owe it to her to try to write it without the aid of google.

I had a terrible experience when I had mine taken out. I was two hours away from my hometown, so the doctor gave me some medication that would last the drive until we got to the pharmacy. Well, apparently the pharmacy didn't get the call, so I had to wait 45 minutes for the medicine. Of course 30 minutes in the pain meds wear off... Needless to say I was NOT a happy camper.

The teeth are out! Not hurting too badly.

And that's all I have energy to write. Happy Monday!

Congrats on successfully getting your wisdom teeth out. Hopefully there weren't too many issues with you. Enjoy your week of soft food and no straws!

Last edited:
Congrats on successfully getting your wisdom teeth out. Hopefully there weren't too many issues with you. Enjoy your week of soft food and no straws!

It wasn't bad. I went back, they hooked me up to monitors and a pulse oximeter. The doctor came in...

"Hey, there! Happy Monday!"
-My heart rate explodes-
"Oh, doctor. You're making me nervous..."
"Not for long. :) "

Got an IV in my arm, felt the cold fluids start running, watched him put in the sedative. It wasn't 15 seconds until I was out like a light. They numbed my mouth when I saw out. A milisecond (or so it seemed) later, I woke up with a bunch of gauze in my mouth. On the way home, I was singing "My Bonny Lies Over the Ocean." I haven't swollen up or anything. Pain isn't bad. I've had some pudding, a Wendy's Frosty, beef noodle soup, and some more pudding.

I'll post a picture if I can. My bottom right one (17?) was pretty impacted, so they had to break it in half. It's pretty wicked putting it together and seeing a gaping hole in the tooth where he drilled. I was far, far away when that was going on though.

And no pain! Thank you for refraining from telling me you woke up! I had an awful experience when my pediatric dentist didn't quite numb me enough... he pulled the tooth and I saw stars. Ouch!

Thank you for all the encouragement both pre- and post-op. It's really not as bad as people say it is!

It wasn't bad. I went back, they hooked me up to monitors and a pulse oximeter. The doctor came in...

"Hey, there! Happy Monday!"
-My heart rate explodes-
"Oh, doctor. You're making me nervous..."
"Not for long. :) "

Got an IV in my arm, felt the cold fluids start running, watched him put in the sedative. It wasn't 15 seconds until I was out like a light. They numbed my mouth when I saw out. A milisecond (or so it seemed) later, I woke up with a bunch of gauze in my mouth. On the way home, I was singing "My Bonny Lies Over the Ocean." I haven't swollen up or anything. Pain isn't bad. I've had some pudding, a Wendy's Frosty, beef noodle soup, and some more pudding.

I'll post a picture if I can. My bottom right one (17?) was pretty impacted, so they had to break it in half. It's pretty wicked putting it together and seeing a gaping hole in the tooth where he drilled. I was far, far away when that was going on though.

And no pain! Thank you for refraining from telling me you woke up! I had an awful experience when my pediatric dentist didn't quite numb me enough... he pulled the tooth and I saw stars. Ouch!

Thank you for all the encouragement both pre- and post-op. It's really not as bad as people say it is!

I just remember my surgeon noticing that I had tears in my eyes and saying mid-surgery, "Oh, can you feel this?" They tried more sedatives, but I could still feel the pain for part of the day. Only lasted for a minute or two, but nevertheless painful. Anyway, congrats on the successful surgery.

I remember waking up for about 3 seconds. He asked if I felt anything, and then I was out again...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is kind of scary :p. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out soon was well.

Anyways to you that took AP US History and AP English Literature (Or whatever it was) last year I wish you the best at the end of July with scores.

Next year I'm doing AP Chem, AP English, AP Calculus, Psychology (Dual Enrollment with the college), and then coop to get out early to go work at the ER as a tech.

I'm looking at UAB or USA in Alabama or maybe some MD/BS programs to have a shot at. I volunteer all summer in the Emergency Room which is a Level 2 Trauma center here in Alabama. I've learned tons.
ACT score isn't that great, was a 24. GPA is 3.65 right now.

My passion is for Emergency Medicine. Looking forward to the future.
Good luck.

Welcome to the thread Chrism611

It isn't that bad, just make sure you get your medicine:).

I'm not taking any of the tests for college credit, although I don't have to take history in college (yes!, I don't like history). I think that i'd rather take a chem 1 class in college after taking AP to make my first semester much easier, with pledging and everything. My ACT score was pretty good (31), but my GPA sucked freshman and Sophomore year (3.1) but I've got it back up to a 3.9 (out of a 4.3) last year.

I just take the AP exams because we have to, they are free, and we get money for passing with our college board grant. I will probably retake what I am exempt for science wise in college just for a review.

Also nice improvement with the GPA. :)

I just take the AP exams because we have to, they are free, and we get money for passing with our college board grant. I will probably retake what I am exempt for science wise in college just for a review.

Also nice improvement with the GPA. :)

What?!!? Our AP exams cost like $200, and can only count for college credit, nothing else... Oh well, yeah, didn't take the history test, but I guess that we actually take the class through our college, so I've got that over with. I might get English out of the way too.

Thanks, our school is weird, offering no AP classes until Jr. year, so with the weighted grades, your GPA can jump up pretty fast.

Anyways to you that took AP US History and AP English Literature (Or whatever it was) last year I wish you the best at the end of July with scores.

Next year I'm doing AP Chem, AP English, AP Calculus, Psychology (Dual Enrollment with the college), and then coop to get out early to go work at the ER as a tech.

I'm looking at UAB or USA in Alabama or maybe some MD/BS programs to have a shot at. I volunteer all summer in the Emergency Room which is a Level 2 Trauma center here in Alabama. I've learned tons.

Good luck.

Hello! I'm in Alabama as well. I'm applying to USA COMEAP this fall, probably. I'm not going to apply to UAB's EMSAP because I really hate UAB's campus and my cousins go there and aren't crazy about it.
You'll get your ACT up! Just study what they want you to answer (because it seems like there are 2 correct answers sometimes.) All you need is a 28 to have a shot at USA COMEAP! Hopefully I'll get to meet you next March if we get interviews :)

I'll probably also apply to AU, UA, and Tulane.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you at here in AL?

Good luck.

We are SO similar. I got a 24 on my ACT also and my GPA is 3.6 AND I want to do emergency medicine. Plus im taking AP calc next year and AP lit and dual enrollment. btw I took AP chem this year and Im taking AP lit next year.

Maybe I'm just stressed out by everything, but anyways:

Does anyone have times where they have doubts on whether to go into medicine? After looking at some of the articles online and the perceived state of everything, I'm stuck on whether I'll be giving up most of my life (not just med school/residency) to make an attempt at a career in medicine, in terms of my family and my personal life. It's been my dream to become a doctor, but everything I've read is that doctors will have less opportunities and a terrible time making it in the future (healthcare reform, technology, etc.). With the massive debt that comes from med school, it's extremely worrying to read these types of things. I probably just need a break from everything, but I just wanted to know whether anyone else had this type of experience.

Anyway, congrats to everyone on the approaching end to the school year!

Hi - member of class of 2011 here headed to WashU in the fall... the college process is still pretty fresh in my mind, so if anyone has any questions about it or anything else let me know! People on this forum were very helpful when I was in this position, so I thought I'd try and be the same :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I am also here to help! :)

Anyone applying Early Decision to a college?

I want to! If the logistics work out, and I love the school when I visit, then yes. On paper it's a dream school. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I love my visit.

Maybe I'm just stressed out by everything, but anyways:

Does anyone have times where they have doubts on whether to go into medicine? After looking at some of the articles online and the perceived state of everything, I'm stuck on whether I'll be giving up most of my life (not just med school/residency) to make an attempt at a career in medicine, in terms of my family and my personal life. It's been my dream to become a doctor, but everything I've read is that doctors will have less opportunities and a terrible time making it in the future (healthcare reform, technology, etc.). With the massive debt that comes from med school, it's extremely worrying to read these types of things. I probably just need a break from everything, but I just wanted to know whether anyone else had this type of experience.

Anyway, congrats to everyone on the approaching end to the school year!

I think about this all the time; I don't want to end up with a huge amount of debt that I will never be able to pay off. However, we still have five years to see how everything in the news plays out.

I think about this all the time; I don't want to end up with a huge amount of debt that I will never be able to pay off. However, we still have five years to see how everything in the news plays out.

True; the fact that we have time to see how everything plays out is very reassuring. How are you handling your major, just out of curiosity? It's still early, but I'm wondering whether to list my major on applications and such as undeclared because of all of this. I thought of biology, but maybe something that's more versatile (haven't an idea what) would be a better idea.

We all have enough time to sort our lives out, so all of that isn't a large-scale issue. Thanks for bringing up the fact that we have five years left; it helped me calm down and stop stressing over the future.

No problem, That always makes me feel a lot better when I'm thinking about it.

I'm definitely applying EA to my dream school. If it would increase my chance to get in there, why wouldn't I do it? But I can see why EA kind of pigeonholes you.

I'm 95% sure that I will major in physics. It's arguably the most versatile science major out there (except for engineering). But who knows, a ton of freshman change their majors

Last edited:
I'm definitely applying EA to my dream school. If it would increase my chance to get in there, why wouldn't I do it? But I can see why EA kind of pigeonholes you.

If you don't mind me asking, what school is this? If you don't want to publish it, PM me (of you want). Some schools are notorious for being super competitive for their EA applicants (like Boston College) and students actually have a better change at getting in RD.

Hello! I'm in Alabama as well. I'm applying to USA COMEAP this fall, probably. I'm not going to apply to UAB's EMSAP because I really hate UAB's campus and my cousins go there and aren't crazy about it.
You'll get your ACT up! Just study what they want you to answer (because it seems like there are 2 correct answers sometimes.) All you need is a 28 to have a shot at USA COMEAP! Hopefully I'll get to meet you next March if we get interviews :)

I'll probably also apply to AU, UA, and Tulane.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you at here in AL?

Im in Jacksonville, in North East Alabama. I really need my ACT up. I plan on applying to those early acceptance programs as well. A girl that graduated this year I know from our school got into the one at USA.

We are SO similar. I got a 24 on my ACT also and my GPA is 3.6 AND I want to do emergency medicine. Plus im taking AP calc next year and AP lit and dual enrollment. btw I took AP chem this year and Im taking AP lit next year.

Emergency Medicine is great :). Good luck with your AP classes as well.

JChait, do you know whether St. Michaels or U. Vermont have better admission rates with or without Early Action?

JChait, do you know whether St. Michaels or U. Vermont have better admission rates with or without Early Action?

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...30/colleges-where-applying-early-action-helps

Vermont accepts over 90% Early Action, and St. Michael's accepts 5% more EA than RD.

EDIT: Remember, these are 2009 stats, but trends *usually* hold true with most admission departments. Look for a more recent version of that article if need be.

EDIT x2: And also, for the life of me, everyone PLEASE apply to Tulane via Early Action. Painless application (through their own website, not any of the general application sites) at a great school, with good scholarship money and a quick admission decision.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what school is this? If you don't want to publish it, PM me (of you want). Some schools are notorious for being super competitive for their EA applicants (like Boston College) and students actually have a better change at getting in RD.

Princeton, I've heard that the acceptance rate EA is considerably higher than regular admission. They also just reinstated EA this year, so people may not know much about it :).

Princeton, I've heard that the acceptance rate EA is considerably higher than regular admission. They also just reinstated EA this year, so people may not know much about it :).

Good luck! We had two Princeton acceptances this year at my school. One is going and the other chose Harvard over MIT and Princeton.

Thanks, I'm freaking out a little, because of my horrible freshman gpa, I may just make it into the top 10% of our class. I hope I can get the chance to explain it to them. My ACT is on the lower 50% of the accepted class. The major EC I have going for me is Eagle scout, and I've heard that Princeton seems to like that.

Out of curiosity, why did you not go to Tulane, if you don't mind sharing? Also, do you think I could get some decent aid if my family makes less than $80-90k/yr and I have a 32 ACT? I'm horrified of going into debt, but would love to go to Tulane.

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...30/colleges-where-applying-early-action-helps

Vermont accepts over 90% Early Action, and St. Michael's accepts 5% more EA than RD.

EDIT: Remember, these are 2009 stats, but trends *usually* hold true with most admission departments. Look for a more recent version of that article if need be.

EDIT x2: And also, for the life of me, everyone PLEASE apply to Tulane via Early Action. Painless application (through their own website, not any of the general application sites) at a great school, with good scholarship money and a quick admission decision.

Im in Jacksonville, in North East Alabama. I really need my ACT up. I plan on applying to those early acceptance programs as well. A girl that graduated this year I know from our school got into the one at USA.

That's pretty cool. I'm in Montgomery; I've been to Jacksonville State University for several different events in the past year. It's beautiful up there!

Out of curiosity, why did you not go to Tulane, if you don't mind sharing? Also, do you think I could get some decent aid if my family makes less than $80-90k/yr and I have a 32 ACT? I'm horrified of going into debt, but would love to go to Tulane.

I got into my top choice, a 7 year BS/DO program, with a lot of scholarship money (the school w/o the scholarship $ was ~35k per year), so I ende dup turning down Tulane. I believe Tulane does give out a lot of aid and scholarship money... I had a 1950 SAT, ~95 W GPA, very good ECs and did the IB program (lots of advanced classes). I received 15k per year, and had the option to apply to more scholarships at the school (community service, leadership etc...). Some students at my high school received even more money than I did.

It's a great school, with a really good public health and pre-med program. I would recommend it to anyone.

Regarding other funds, make sure to file your FAFSA as soon as possible, and I am sure you will receive a good amount of financial aid. Debt is something a lot of people deal with, but student loans are very lenient, and if you will be going to med school and becoming a physician, you will be in debt for a long time but you will have a steady job to eventually repay it.

I just remember my surgeon noticing that I had tears in my eyes and saying mid-surgery, "Oh, can you feel this?" They tried more sedatives, but I could still feel the pain for part of the day. Only lasted for a minute or two, but nevertheless painful. Anyway, congrats on the successful surgery.

You guys are lucky.

I was completely awake during the surgery. It was traumatizing.

You guys are lucky.

I was completely awake during the surgery. It was traumatizing.

My surgery wasn't for my wisdom teeth, but I still feel your pain. Hopefully you were just awake and didn't feel it; I couldn't even imagine.

I got into my top choice, a 7 year BS/DO program, with a lot of scholarship money (the school w/o the scholarship $ was ~35k per year), so I ende dup turning down Tulane. I believe Tulane does give out a lot of aid and scholarship money... I had a 1950 SAT, ~95 W GPA, very good ECs and did the IB program (lots of advanced classes). I received 15k per year, and had the option to apply to more scholarships at the school (community service, leadership etc...). Some students at my high school received even more money than I did.

It's a great school, with a really good public health and pre-med program. I would recommend it to anyone.

Regarding other funds, make sure to file your FAFSA as soon as possible, and I am sure you will receive a good amount of financial aid. Debt is something a lot of people deal with, but student loans are very lenient, and if you will be going to med school and becoming a physician, you will be in debt for a long time but you will have a steady job to eventually repay it.

That's pretty awesome! Congratulations on getting into your top choice plus a lot of aid! :)
Tulane has almost everything I'm looking for: a strong science college, a variety of programs that I'm interested in (biomedical engineering, variety of biology, chem, etc,) New Orleans, not too far from home, well-regarded school, etc.

I realize that medical school -- any professional school, for that matter -- is costly and forces most of its students into debt. My only fear is that I could have significant undergraduate debt compounding underneath the still-accumulating educational debt. :scared:

:idea: ... I'll just wait to get my EFC back and then decide before worrying too much!

That's pretty awesome! Congratulations on getting into your top choice plus a lot of aid! :)
Tulane has almost everything I'm looking for: a strong science college, a variety of programs that I'm interested in (biomedical engineering, variety of biology, chem, etc,) New Orleans, not too far from home, well-regarded school, etc.

I realize that medical school -- any professional school, for that matter -- is costly and forces most of its students into debt. My only fear is that I could have significant undergraduate debt compounding underneath the still-accumulating educational debt. :scared:

:idea: ... I'll just wait to get my EFC back and then decide before worrying too much!

:thumbup:

Don't fret. Being nervous will make the process even more nerve-wracking, drawn out and painful than it needs to be -- it already sucks, trust me. Tulane is great, and good luck to you... I am sure you will get in and have success with the funds issue. I'm not sure if you listed your stats, but if you don't mind me asking, what are they? Would give me a better guess at whether you'd receive a scholarship/acceptance or not.

:thumbup:

Don't fret. Being nervous will make the process even more nerve-wracking, drawn out and painful than it needs to be -- it already sucks, trust me. Tulane is great, and good luck to you... I am sure you will get in and have success with the funds issue. I'm not sure if you listed your stats, but if you don't mind me asking, what are they? Would give me a better guess at whether you'd receive a scholarship/acceptance or not.

~3.8 Unweighted GPA
32 ACT (my friend who is interested has a 30 and comparable GPA, but without the heavily focused EC involvement -- is a 30 with good grades good enough for her to get some good FA?)
2080 SAT (710 CR, 670 Math, 700 Writing)
9 AP Courses
Heavy involvement in music; performances at the district, state, and national levels.
Leadership in all of my school's musical ensembles (concert, marching, jazz, musical theater, Tri-M Honor Society)
Multiple honor societies (Tri-M, NHS, Mu Alpha Theta, etc.)
Piano tutor
Freshman counselor
Some volunteering (~100 hrs, not really that much though.)

Among other things. Those are the highlights though.

Last edited:
~3.8 Unweighted GPA
32 ACT (my friend who is interested has a 30 and comparable GPA, but without the heavily focused EC involvement -- is a 30 with good grades good enough for her to get some good FA?)
2080 SAT (710 CR, 670 Math, 700 Writing)
9 AP Courses
Heavy involvement in music; performances at the district, state, and national levels.
Leadership in all of my school's musical ensembles (concert, marching, jazz, musical theater, Tri-M Honor Society)
Multiple honor societies (Tri-M, NHS, Mu Alpha Theta, etc.)
Piano tutor
Freshman counselor
Some volunteering (~100 hrs, not really that much though.)

Among other things. Those are the highlights though.

In reality, both of you should be fine. I had a 1290/1600 and 1950/2400 with a 92.404 W GPA (we work on the 100 system) with very good ECs and LORs (wow I sound like a douche) and got in with 15k... You guys blow me out of the water with grades and test scores...

In reality, both of you should be fine. I had a 1290/1600 and 1950/2400 with a 92.404 W GPA (we work on the 100 system) with very good ECs and LORs (wow I sound like a douche) and got in with 15k... You guys blow me out of the water with grades and test scores...

We both can go in-state for free; her parents say that whoever offers the most money is where she must go, but she'd really like to go to Tulane, I think. Money, while an issue for me, will not be the deciding factor in where I can go. I think my family wants me to go where I can learn, get a fantastic degree, and enjoy myself the most for 4 years.

Hopefully my reasonably-wealthy (yet quite stingy) grandparents will help out some! :laugh:

We both can go in-state for free; her parents say that whoever offers the most money is where she must go, but she'd really like to go to Tulane, I think. Money, while an issue for me, will not be the deciding factor in where I can go. I think my family wants me to go where I can learn, get a fantastic degree, and enjoy myself the most for 4 years.

Hopefully my reasonably-wealthy (yet quite stingy) grandparents will help out some! :laugh:

Calling up admissions and the financials department can work wonders when it comes to getting more money. There have been people here on SDN that have called up medical schools and have had their scholarships bumped, and some even to full rides.

So excited! Just got the "ok" to shadow an orthopedic surgeon. I start on Wednesday! He's also the Princeton Alumni that does the interviews in our town, so win-win!

So excited! Just got the "ok" to shadow an orthopedic surgeon. I start on Wednesday! He's also the Princeton Alumni that does the interviews in our town, so win-win!

Congrats! That's really exciting. I hope you get to see some cool stuff; how long will you be shadowing for?

Out of curiosity, why Princeton for pre-med? I know it's a fantastic school, but I've heard their grade deflation is hellacious. In other news, my old neighbor just graduated from Princeton this year and is going to UPenn for med school this fall.