Technology HTC Evo vs. iPhone 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- need a new phone and I'm trying to decide between the evo and iphone. I'm a fan of sprint, and there's an $80 plan that covers just about everything. I'm tempted by the iphone b/c every resident, attending... has one. I'm kinda put off by the drama about the at&t service and the possibility of iphone going to verizon, plus at&t is more expensive for their plan.

Any reason I shouldn't go for the HTC Evo in terms of use as a resident or any other reasons vs. the iPhone?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really - as an Evo owner I can say that almost all of the author's negative comments were either tremendously overblown (even with the initial 2.1, I don't know what he did to get the battery to die in 6 hours without using the phone) or fixed with later software updates (the Android 2.2 operating system really does work a lot better and vastly improves battery life, scrolling, internet, and app management).

Regardless, I'd have to say that both phones are great and have the basic apps you are going to need so you should just go with whichever carrier gives you better service where you live/work. Or just wait for the Verizon iPhone if it is actually coming this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not just one reviewer. I could post links to more negative reviews that basically say the same things, but the OP can easily find them for himself using Google.

IMHO, there are flaws with the iPhone which are often glossed over due to the usability. Bottom line, it's hard to complain about a phone which is that easy to use. That being said, I am a gadget guy and I love to be able to tweak and change settings, etc. I have no problems with my Evo and virtually all of the programs that are available for the iPhone are also available on Android (still waiting for medscape however...). It comes down to whether you like to have a certain experience right out of the box with relatively little customizing required (and also in my opinion a subpar service with AT&T) aka the iPhone or if you are okay with customizing your phone and fiddling with things to get the best experience (and having more reliable service) then the Evo is right for you.

I would also evaluate where you will be in terms of location. The Evo has 4G capability and if you are in a 4G area it is unbelievable in terms of connection speeds.

It's not just one reviewer. I could post links to more negative reviews that basically say the same things, but the OP can easily find them for himself using Google.

I agree that there are many reviewers who have said similar things. However, all of those negative reviews were from prior to release or shortly thereafter - meaning before HTC pushed the software fixes that solved most of the problems. Unfortunately, googling outdated reviews about a phone running an old operating system isn't going to give an accurate picture of what it would be like to buy it now.

You'll probably get better network coverage if you avoid AT&T. The iPhone is coming to Verizon, so you could wait for that version. I'm using Android and I love it! I also have an iPod touch so that allows me to keep up with all the iPhone apps.

I like Sprint also and was with them for years. Switched to AT&T specifically for the iPhone 4.

The phone is far and away better than any other device I've used in terms of build quality, aesthetic, and battery life. Personally, I enjoy the feel of iOS, though Android 2.2 isn't bad either.

Did spend a little time with an Evo in a Sprint store before switching.

AT&T network-wise is more expensive, but it's just a matter of whether the device is worth the premium to you.

I've owned both and prefer my Evo. In order to make the Evo usable, you need to purchase a 3500mAh battery. Otherwise, you will need to charge q4hrs.

The Evo is slicker, faster, more customizable and the screen is beautiful. The Apple is completely idiot proof/easier to use.