Huff Post Nursing Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And why are you friends with nurses? They'll always envy and hate you because of their own insecurities.

Because I don't require all of my friends do have the exact same views/career paths/background as me.

Protip: saying all nurses are envious and to not associate with them doesn't exactly give you the moral high ground.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bc it's a pervasive problem esp. in an era in which the govt. is trying to cut down on healthcare costs across the board INCLUDING funding of physician residency training. What do you think the govt. is going to say when NPs and to an extent PAs, can say we can do what physicians do in a shorter time and we're cheaper? This example is emblematic of that problem - why did he take the doctor's opinion, when I'm a nurse, and I know more than that doctor?
There's an agenda. Political and financial.
 
Nurses live to create drama, Its funny. There is a nursing class at my med school they ( the nursing students) know EVERYTHING about the med students, but we don't even know they exist. I hear them talking all the time " did ya'll hear about the poor med school girl that fainted in gross lab" " did ya'll hear about ,x,y,z med students?" I can totally see them 20 years from now, 1oo pounds heavier and gossiping about what the doctors do instead of working.


And why are you friends with nurses? They'll always envy and hate you because of their own insecurities.

The hundred pounds comes much sooner than 20 years. Look around the hospital. Age 25 and up.
 
I want someone to go there just because I know you're on probation and you can't curse.

Most flight attendants and most nurses are women. I forget (and don't really care) what that was implying, but the statement is true.


I was just saying, you know how women are.
 
I was just saying, you know how women are.

oh-no-you-didnt.gif
 
I want someone to go there just because I know you're on probation and you can't curse.

Most flight attendants and most nurses are women. I forget (and don't really care) what that was implying, but the statement is true.
You have no idea how hard it is for me to not go off.

Anyways yes of course flight attendants and nurses are predominately women, probably because women weren't really allowed or encouraged to be pilots or doctors until fairly recently. I have no idea about pilots, but half of med students are women so it's not like we are too dumb to be docs. I think what he was going for was that nurses overstepping their boundaries is because of wimmenz and all their feels. but idk for sure since I've seen him stereotype in multiple ways.
 
You have no idea how hard it is for me to not go off.

Anyways yes of course flight attendants and nurses are predominately women, probably because women weren't really allowed or encouraged to be pilots or doctors until fairly recently. I have no idea about pilots, but half of med students are women so it's not like we are too dumb to be docs. I think what he was going for was that nurses overstepping their boundaries is because of wimmenz and all their feels. but idk for sure since I've seen him stereotype in multiple ways.

FWIW, the only nurses that I've seen with a severe attitude problem were female nurses. All of the male nurses on the floors I've worked with are normal, just doing what they can and overall being helpful.

N = 1, but ya know what I mean.
 
FWIW, the only nurses that I've seen with a severe attitude problem were female nurses. All of the male nurses on the floors I've worked with are normal, just doing what they can and overall being helpful.

N = 1, but ya know what I mean.
I've had a mix bag.

Honestly the absolute worst for me in terms of overstepping and being general jerks where LPNs. Almost all the RNs I know are really chill. But most of them came from my undergrad nursing program which is extremely competitive and they are all quite bright.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FWIW, the only nurses that I've seen with a severe attitude problem were female nurses. All of the male nurses on the floors I've worked with are normal, just doing what they can and overall being helpful.

N = 1, but ya know what I mean.
I agree. That's what have noticed as well. This is very anecdotal, of course, but the few male nurses I've met are pretty cool. Also, again very anecdotal, I've noticed that the nurses with the biggest attitude problems are NPs and RNs. CRNAs aren't so bad, although some of them think they can replace anesthesiologists, and LPNs, like touchpause said, aren't so bad. However, that's just what I've encountered.
 
You have no idea how hard it is for me to not go off.

Anyways yes of course flight attendants and nurses are predominately women, probably because women weren't really allowed or encouraged to be pilots or doctors until fairly recently. I have no idea about pilots, but half of med students are women so it's not like we are too dumb to be docs. I think what he was going for was that nurses overstepping their boundaries is because of wimmenz and all their feels. but idk for sure since I've seen him stereotype in multiple ways.


fail :smack:
 
I've seen my uncle who is a nurse get uppity with docs before, but he has like a million years experience working in a rural hospital so I get it. But he's only one of like 3 male nurses I know so :shrug:
 
I've seen my uncle who is a nurse get uppity with docs before, but he has like a million years experience working in a rural hospital so I get it. But he's only one of like 3 male nurses I know so :shrug:
Yeah, like I said before, my experiences are anecdotal. I think it just varies a lot. Perhaps by region, hospital, people.
 
FWIW, the only nurses that I've seen with a severe attitude problem were female nurses. All of the male nurses on the floors I've worked with are normal, just doing what they can and overall being helpful.

N = 1, but ya know what I mean.
I wonder if it's ego crushing for male nurses working under female physicians (especially the younger ones). I've seen a few bad interactions.
 
I agree. That's what have noticed as well. This is very anecdotal, of course, but the few male nurses I've met are pretty cool. Also, again very anecdotal, I've noticed that the nurses with the biggest attitude problems are NPs and RNs. CRNAs aren't so bad, although some of them think they can replace anesthesiologists, and LPNs, like touchpause said, aren't so bad. However, that's just what I've encountered.
It's because nursing academia ingrains the bad attitudes.
 
It's because nursing academia ingrains the bad attitudes.
I know very little about nursing academia, but I'd venture to say it's likelier that those people have had attitude problems their whole life, or they've developed it through work. Not because of their schooling. I could be wrong , however.
 
The gender of the nurse is irrelevent, I just got sick of the nurses (male and female) at the hospital where I volunteered acting like I was stupid treating me and the other volunteers like shet
That reminded me of a time during high school when we had to do x amount of hours for community service. A couple of friends and I decided to volunteer at a hospital. The first thing one of the nurses who we were supposed to "help" said to us was, "what the hell are you guys doing? Go away." We explained to her our situation, and she allowed us to follow her around but she didn't let us help her at all. And yes, she treated us like we were born yesterday.
 
I know very little about nursing academia, but I'd venture to say it's likelier that those people have had attitude problems their whole life, or they've developed it through work. Not because of their schooling. I could be wrong , however.
There was recently a scope of practice debate at my school between an AMA rep and a nursing union rep. Med students and nursing students were both invited. Med students were for the most part busy studying/researching/on rotations. The nursing administration made it a mandatory attendance event with sign in and organized rally posters. I couldn't hear more than two words from the AMA rep through all the booing.
 
There was recently a scope of practice debate at my school between an AMA rep and a nursing union rep. Med students and nursing students were both invited. Med students were for the most part busy studying/researching/on rotations. The nursing administration made it a mandatory attendance event with sign in and organized rally posters. I couldn't hear more than two words from the AMA rep through all the booing.
I think that's just because a lot of nurses resent docs. Once you're a nurse, or in training, you learn to resent docs. Maybe that's ingrained in the students, maybe it's not. But I certainly think the half- decent ones can reject that indoctrination, if there is such a thing in nursing school.
 
I think that's just because a lot of nurses resent docs. Once you're a nurse, or in training, you learn to resent docs. Maybe that's ingrained in the students, maybe it's not. But I certainly think the half- decent ones can reject that indoctrination, if there is such a thing in nursing school.
The point out the story was to illustrate an example of the indoctrination.

You're setting too much store in rational behavior.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FWIW, the only nurses that I've seen with a severe attitude problem were female nurses. All of the male nurses on the floors I've worked with are normal, just doing what they can and overall being helpful.

N = 1, but ya know what I mean.
Found this to be true. On my last rotation, I remember running into a male nurse of one of the patients I was following and figured to just ask "anything happen overnight" kinda thing. Something about his demeanor, nicest damn guy. I talked to him a few times throughout the rotation. Actually RIGHT after that convo, I was in the middle of the hallway, and a female nurse who was older bumped into me slightly and yelled "GET OUT OF MY WAY" and then told a transportation dude that he should answer the call phone when pts beeped in lel.
 
There was recently a scope of practice debate at my school between an AMA rep and a nursing union rep. Med students and nursing students were both invited. Med students were for the most part busy studying/researching/on rotations. The nursing administration made it a mandatory attendance event with sign in and organized rally posters. I couldn't hear more than two words from the AMA rep through all the booing.

lmfao, ****ing christ. GOD help me. That is the most ridiculous ****ing story I have come across in all of this nonsense. That is disgusting.

loling so ****ing hard at the rally posters
 
I didn't get her point about being the docs eyes and ears. It's like she's acting like doctor's never physically see patients and that we can't have as much of an emotional attachment to them.
I do not understand this term; it wasn’t included in my programming.
 
In general it seems like as a society we are shifting to this professional structure where no one is superior to one another and everyone is a "equal part of the team." There is a time and place for this attitude but when there are clearly groups that are more intelligent, trained, experienced. etc., I see no problem with developing a hierarchy. I blame the trophies-for-everyone generation. We are an entire society of insecure people with an inferiority complex. There will always be someone brighter and better. Just get used to it.
 
I agree. That's what have noticed as well. This is very anecdotal, of course, but the few male nurses I've met are pretty cool. Also, again very anecdotal, I've noticed that the nurses with the biggest attitude problems are NPs and RNs. CRNAs aren't so bad, although some of them think they can replace anesthesiologists, and LPNs, like touchpause said, aren't so bad. However, that's just what I've encountered.

They all says they're as good as docs and should get the same pay. Until they are in over their head or in a malpractice case. Then ' I'm just a nurse'.

Crnas are especially terrible. Top level nurses, but they are not in any way equivalent to anesthesiologists. The education and responsibility of anesthesiologists is awesome.
 
They all says they're as good as docs and should get the same pay. Until they are in over their head or in a malpractice case. Then ' I'm just a nurse'.

Crnas are especially terrible. Top level nurses, but they are not in any way equivalent to anesthesiologists. The education and responsibility of anesthesiologists is awesome.

I have had horrible experiences with NP. They for some reason think they run the floor. I love seeing them boss around med students/residents. We have this nurse practioner whose learnings to put in central lines.. he's horrendous, 3-4 carotid pokes. Most nurses are super nice, but you get these ones who think they run the hospital. I once walked in on an NP explaining to med students and a resident how rhabdomyolysis is the same as reperfusion injury. Interesting stuff.
 
Don't worry, any doctor who hates nurses are disliked by everyone. They are usually people with poor personality traits. Same with nurses who hate all doctors. Both those people need to stay far away from me and go to a hospital that is run down, so they can all suck together(since usually people with bad personality traits suck at their job).
 
Don't worry, any doctor who hates nurses are disliked by everyone. They are usually people with poor personality traits. Same with nurses who hate all doctors. Both those people need to stay far away from me and go to a hospital that is run down, so they can all suck together(since usually people with bad personality traits suck at their job).

Yeah exactly, if you hate all nurses, or if a nurse hates all doctors. Most likely something is wrong with them. I like 95% of nurses. It's just those few people can really ruin your day lol.
 
There was recently a scope of practice debate at my school between an AMA rep and a nursing union rep. Med students and nursing students were both invited. Med students were for the most part busy studying/researching/on rotations. The nursing administration made it a mandatory attendance event with sign in and organized rally posters. I couldn't hear more than two words from the AMA rep through all the booing.
Was this a middle school? Booing?
 
Because I don't require all of my friends do have the exact same views/career paths/background as me.

Protip: saying all nurses are envious and to not associate with them doesn't exactly give you the moral high ground.

I know some nurses very well. One was my bridesmaid. Friend since 4th grade. She was very envious of docs. And she said the nurses were nicer to male docs.

She also told me that residents don't know anything. I asked her further and this seemed to be the prevailing attitude and why residents were called all the time and treated badly at this hospital. She had no idea about the hours they worked and didn't listen when I tried to explain. She seemed to think residents worked shifts like nurses do. 3 12 hour shifts..

Another hospital, the nurses knew who all the single male docs/residents were. They found out this info from the secretarial staff day one. And they pounced.
 
I think that's just because a lot of nurses resent docs. Once you're a nurse, or in training, you learn to resent docs. Maybe that's ingrained in the students, maybe it's not. But I certainly think the half- decent ones can reject that indoctrination, if there is such a thing in nursing school.
Jealous. They also think with a little more school and effort they'd be a doc.

The years of experience if nurses is not as relevant as they make it out to be. 3 year medicine residency has over 10,000 hours of patient care. This is on top of 3rd and 4th year med school. Many residencies are more than 3 years (fellowship, surgery, etc). This extensive knowledge overlaid with rigorous training of docs cannot be minimized.

I'd rather have a first year anesthesiologist attending for a surgery than a 10 years out crna. When seconds count, I don't want any time wasted contacting the attending for assistance.
 
I have had horrible experiences with NP. They for some reason think they run the floor. I love seeing them boss around med students/residents. We have this nurse practioner whose learnings to put in central lines.. he's horrendous, 3-4 carotid pokes. Most nurses are super nice, but you get these ones who think they run the hospital. I once walked in on an NP explaining to med students and a resident how rhabdomyolysis is the same as reperfusion injury. Interesting stuff.
They do run the hospital. Don't be surprised if you are employed at a hospital that a nurse administrator (nurse with mba) isn't way up the ladder from you, above attending docs.

Us docs are too busy treating patients and jumping board certification hoops including the new maintenance of certification, to be a bean counter.

However, we are expensive, so back to the original posters point, why not sell nurses to the public as being equal so they can decrease the number of docs that are employed? Saves money, right?
 
I know some nurses very well. One was my bridesmaid. Friend since 4th grade. She was very envious of docs. And she said the nurses were nicer to male docs.

She also told me that residents don't know anything. I asked her further and this seemed to be the prevailing attitude and why residents were called all the time and treated badly at this hospital. She had no idea about the hours they worked and didn't listen when I tried to explain. She seemed to think residents worked shifts like nurses do. 3 12 hour shifts..

Another hospital, the nurses knew who all the single male docs/residents were. They found out this info from the secretarial staff day one. And they pounced.
Does this actually happen? I'm skeptical, but if it does happen, you have to keep it on the hush hush around here, else pre-allo will catch wind of it and then we'll have another thread about how being a resident makes you more attractive to women.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know some nurses very well. One was my bridesmaid. Friend since 4th grade. She was very envious of docs. And she said the nurses were nicer to male docs.

She also told me that residents don't know anything. I asked her further and this seemed to be the prevailing attitude and why residents were called all the time and treated badly at this hospital. She had no idea about the hours they worked and didn't listen when I tried to explain. She seemed to think residents worked shifts like nurses do. 3 12 hour shifts..

That is willful ignorance.


Another hospital, the nurses knew who all the single male docs/residents were. They found out this info from the secretarial staff day one. And they pounced.

Giggity. I see no issue with this.
 
Does this actually happen? I'm skeptical, but if it does happen, you have to keep it on the hush hush around here, else pre-allo will catch wind of it and then we'll have another thread about how being a resident makes you more attractive to women.

Those nurses have to catch a doc very early as you see what happens within 5 years of them working....

And who wouldn't like a spouse with high income who is never present as they are always working???
 
In my experience, female nurses are far more likely to be hostile and malignant. I think that's because a lot of women in nursing have been treated like shet at some point in thier careers, and they relish the opportunity to return the favor whenever possible. I can see how it'd be easy to develop a chip on your shoulder.

Male nurses are different for a variety of reasons. For one, you have to be pretty fuggin laid back to go into nursing as a male. It's a traditionally female dominated field, and even in pop culture they're referred to as "murses." Guys who take on this role clearly DGAF about how they are perceived and are generally pretty laid back.

On top of that, I think female nurses really like male nurses. You automatically have some type of status amongst you peers as a male nurse. I worked closely with nurses in one of my volunteering gigs as a pre-med, and they tried pretty hard to persuade me into going into nursing instead of medicine. Multiple women nurses told me how great male nurses were, and how they are practically "worshiped" throughout their training. I thought that was weird as hell, but I'm sure there's some truth to it.