1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

HUGE dilemma on interviews

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by hammertoe, Nov 17, 2005.

1. hammertoe

hammertoe Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm very disappointed to have to post this thread but I just found out that I failed COMLEX Step 2. I took the exam with the flu and it was a miserable day for me. I have multiple interviews scheduled for gas programs and they are going to ask me when I'm taking (or took step 2). As it stands, they do not know I failed the test and have no way of finding out because ERAS makes you resubmit your scores when they come out. I plan to tell them on my interviews that I am taking the test in January (which I am), but I don't want to tell them I failed already, as this will screw me for sure. I know I'll pass it in January and they will eventually find out I failed, but I want this to come AFTER the match. I am humiliated and very disappointed in myself. I have 5 interviews and I interview well, I just need some advice about this situation. What should I do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. adleyinga

adleyinga Einstein
    5+ Year Member

I should say tell the truth but I won't. Lie!!!!
    Your idea is good- it is not a lie but it isn't the whole truth.
    So partial truth is best.
    ALso -unless you mention the programs won't know .

4. aredoubleyou

aredoubleyou Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ive heard that programs know if you took the exam or not - but not the score unless you release it. Heard this from my schools student affairs office - but they are a bunch of (whats a nice way to say morons?) who have gotten things wrong before. I think lying will compound problems. Certainly dont advertise it.

5. dodo2

dodo2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You could challenge the result and pay to have it hand checked. That should take a month. You wll still be waiting for the result to come out.

6. davvid2700

davvid2700 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I would not say anything to the program about you failing the exam.. It is a licensure exam it should not be used as a barometer to measure applicants. IF they want to know about you they can look at your grades and your clinical evaluations. But under no circumstance should you tell them you failed. WHy should you go outo f you way to say something negative about yourself..

7. hammertoe

Removed

I do appreciate all of the feedback. I am afraid if I challenge the exam, it will make me ineligeble to take it in Jan. Also, I couldn't imagine wasting someone's time to sit and check each one of those damn answers. In any case, it amazes me that NO ONE knows the process of how these programs get scores...not my med school, not ERAS, not students. This computerized thing seems to have everyone up in a swirl. All I can do is rock it in January, nail my interviews and say #$W* it. I will always feel like a dumb-ass for failing the test though. I will say though...this has really made me appreciate my career and next time I will put my game face on. If it's brought up, I will tell the programs that I'm taking the test in early January and that's that. Oh...then I will change the subject of course. :)

8. Ahh...The Life

Ahh...The Life Membership Revoked
    Removed

Should not be used as a barometer... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess you should set the standards for all programs? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You tell them what they can consider and what to overlook... Here, look here at my strengths, not here at my failures. Idiot, should have taken the hit and skipped the exam. No Take = No Fail.

9. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You have to resubmit them, according to ERAS. They will only deliver the scores posted as of the date of your application

10. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tell the truth. Leaving out the truth is the same as lying.

If they don't ask at all, then you're ok.

11. hammertoe

Removed

I disagree that not telling them is the same as lying. The interview/match process is a huge game and there are promises made by both parties all of the time that won't be kept. This is an especially competitive year for anesthesia this year and I'm not about to shoot myself in the foot. I KNOW that every program is going to bring up Step II and I'm not going to sit there and make excuses for myself. Telling them that I took it on a bad day while I having the flu and feeling horrible will do nothing but make me look stupid. I'll tell them I'm taking it in Jan. and go from there. Hopefully, I'll kill the test and the situation will work itself out. I'm not about to choke myself though.

12. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hammer-

Maybe you should send a quick PM to UTSouthwestern. With all due respect to the others on the forum, he was very recently a chief resident at a major academic program, and may be able to shed some light on the board score process (or he may not be able to).

Sorry UT, for sending unsolicited traffic your way.

Good luck with things.

dc

13. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why ask when you've made up your mind?

14. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the consensus is: dont offer up info that isnt requested. If it is requested, dont lie.

15. Ahh...The Life

Ahh...The Life Membership Revoked
    Removed