Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
Hello,

I am in a huge dilemma. I am thinking of withdrawing from my English class. I received all A's on my papers but my prof just informed me that I apparently missed most of the mandatory conferences and so now my grade is really, really bad. And so I talked to my English prof and she told me that it was best that I withdraw and take it next semester since I have the potential to get an A.

She also told me that in order to alleviate the damage, she would write a letter to the dean stating that I had an illness and that I shouldn't get a W on my transcript. Now it's up to the dean to decide whether to grant the petition. I have a meeting with the dean Mon and I am really, really worried about this.

I am also worried because if I drop this class, I want to add another one. But isn't it too late to add a class now? Would any prof be willing to? I am willing to add any class, do you have any suggestions for what I could do, other than beg and plead and hope that some kind-hearted prof out there would add me?

Thanks so much!
 

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
491
6
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
Withdraw, take it over, do some volunteering at the hospital, or maybe shadowing or research...or just enjoy some extra free time. :idea:

You're making some wise decisions and covering all your bases. :thumbup: Not as huge of a dilemma as you think.

NS
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
NotShorty said:
Withdraw, take it over, do some volunteering at the hospital, or maybe shadowing or research...or just enjoy some extra free time. :idea:

You're making some wise decisions and covering all your bases. :thumbup: Not as huge of a dilemma as you think.

NS
Thanks. Do you know if I would be able to add a class now?
 

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
876
4
Somewhere out there
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sorry to say this man but if your professor gave out a course syllabus at the beginning of the semester that clearly states those conferences are mandatory then you are fried. A course syllabus is tantamount to a contract between the student and the professor.
I was almost kicked out of a class because I was sick for a week and missed two classes. The course syllabus for that particular class stated that 3 absences was grounds for expulsion from the course and since I already had one absence I was fu*ked.
The professor called me to his office and already had the papers signed. I never, ever go to a doctor when I get sick (macho thing I guess), but this time my girlfriend convinced me to go, so luckily for me I had a medical excuse at hand. I am doing a masters in Epidemiology and start med school in august, so getting kicked out of the class pretty much ruined my chances at getting my masters. The professor was ready and willing to kick me out of the courese, not because he had anything against me personally, but becuase it was written down in the syllabus and discussed the first day of class (not that i remember).
So the fact that the professor is willing to write you a letter is good, she doesnt have to do it. Letting you off the hook though is giving you preference over other students that went to the conferences. You knew that you had to attend yet you chose not to go. Sorry about the bad news though, but a W on your transcript is not the end of the world. I had 3 (yes 3) w's on my transcript (had a full time job), and I still got acceptences from 5 med schools and waitlisted on 2 more. So I wouldnt worry.
 

dandelion

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
163
0
Status
Up40Love said:
Hello,

I am in a huge dilemma. I am thinking of withdrawing from my English class. I received all A's on my papers but my prof just informed me that I apparently missed most of the mandatory conferences and so now my grade is really, really bad. And so I talked to my English prof and she told me that it was best that I withdraw and take it next semester since I have the potential to get an A.

She also told me that in order to alleviate the damage, she would write a letter to the dean stating that I had an illness and so I should not receive a
W on my transcript. Now it's up to the dean to decide whether to grant the petition. I have a meeting with the dean Mon and I am really, really worried about this.

I am also worried because if I drop this class, I want to add another one. But isn't it too late to add a class now? Would any prof be willing to? I am willing to add any class, do you have any suggestions for what I could do, other than beg and plead and hope that some kind-hearted prof out there would add me?

Thanks so much!
Hmm, why did your professor inform you of the requirement for attending conferences when it was already too late? Was this something that you were told at the beginning of the class and just forgot? Was the requirement not made clear, and are a lot of the students missing the conferences?

You say that you have done good work for the class, other than not making the conferences. That English prof. who's advising you to drop actually sounds like she wants to help you out (by writing a letter to the Dean, etc.). I think you should ask the her to enroll you in an independent studies course to replace the class you're dropping, and then she can revise the work/paper requirements for the remainder of the semester as she sees fit. You should make an appointment to talk to her, apologize for not making the mandatory conferences, and explain your situation to her clearly and diplomatically. Good luck!
 

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
491
6
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
Up40Love said:
Thanks. Do you know if I would be able to add a class now?
Sorry kiddo, gotta ask your teachers on that one. :)

Really though, have some fun. Exercise more. Play more tennis and start getting ready for spring. You'll be jammed full of academia for the rest of your life. Get well-rounded now.

NS
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
Dr Who said:
Sorry to say this man but if your professor gave out a course syllabus at the beginning of the semester that clearly states those conferences are mandatory then you are fried. A course syllabus is tantamount to a contract between the student and the professor.
I was almost kicked out of a class because I was sick for a week and missed two classes. The course syllabus for that particular class stated that 3 absences was grounds for expulsion from the course and since I already had one absence I was fu*ked.
The professor called me to his office and already had the papers signed. I never, ever go to a doctor when I get sick (macho thing I guess), but this time my girlfriend convinced me to go, so luckily for me I had a medical excuse at hand. I am doing a masters in Epidemiology and start med school in august, so getting kicked out of the class pretty much ruined my chances at getting my masters. The professor was ready and willing to kick me out of the courese, not because he had anything against me personally, but becuase it was written down in the syllabus and discussed the first day of class (not that i remember).
So the fact that the professor is willing to write you a letter is good, she doesnt have to do it. Letting you off the hook though is giving you preference over other students that went to the conferences. You knew that you had to attend yet you chose not to go. Sorry about the bad news though, but a W on your transcript is not the end of the world. I had 3 (yes 3) w's on my transcript (had a full time job), and I still got acceptences from 5 med schools and waitlisted on 2 more. So I wouldnt worry.
I know I am a huge tool and screwed up pretty bad. I added the class late and didn't really read the sylabus. I am hoping the dean accepts my petition and I don't get a W. Now I am just wondering if it is anyway possible that I can add a class? (I'm a freshman so I am not really familiar with how this works.)

Thanks!
 

sunUCB

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
361
0
Status
if it's like 8 weeks into the semester, i wouldn't recommend adding a class...they've probably already had a midterm or 2 in whatever class you want to add anyways.

and i agree with the above poster - if you're a freshman you have plenty of time to take "extra" classes......take some time off to get more involved in extracurriculars or just enjoy your time...


Up40Love said:
I know I am a huge tool and screwed up pretty bad. I added the class late and didn't really read the sylabus. I am hoping the dean accepts my petition and I don't get a W. Now I am just wondering if it is anyway possible that I can add a class? (I'm a freshman so I am not really familiar with how this works.)

Thanks!
 

LizH

Eventual Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
10
0
36
Status
Up40Love said:
I know I am a huge tool and screwed up pretty bad. I added the class late and didn't really read the sylabus. I am hoping the dean accepts my petition and I don't get a W. Now I am just wondering if it is anyway possible that I can add a class? (I'm a freshman so I am not really familiar with how this works.)

Thanks!
It is awfully late in the semester to add another class. I'd be amazed if your college will even let you. If they will let you, you'd have to find an incredibly generous prof who would be willing to let you work your ass off to catch up. But keep in mind that you're only a freshman. You've got years to improve. Everyone makes stupid mistakes their first year and the main thing is that you learn from these mistakes. Make up for it with some extra volunteering and don't let something like this happen again and you'll be fine. :thumbup:
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
dandelion said:
Hmm, why did your professor inform you of the requirement for attending conferences when it was already too late? Was this something that you were told at the beginning of the class and just forgot? Was the requirement not made clear, and are a lot of the students missing the conferences?

You say that you have done good work for the class, other than not making the conferences. That English prof. who's advising you to drop actually sounds like she wants to help you out (by writing a letter to the Dean, etc.). I think you should ask the her to enroll you in an independent studies course to replace the class you're dropping, and then she can revise the work/paper requirements for the remainder of the semester as she sees fit. You should make an appointment to talk to her, apologize for not making the mandatory conferences, and explain your situation to her clearly and diplomatically. Good luck!
Thanks for your response. Yeah, she told us in the beginning and I forgot since I have never had conferences in any of my classes before. Also, I did meet with her and apologized for missing the conferences but her policy is that you can't miss conferences, so there's nothing I can do about that. I don't know about the independent studies course, I've never heard about anything like that...
 

DrDrummer

ruleoutbadness.com
10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
416
116
CA
www.ruleoutbadness.com
Status
Attending Physician
At my school, and I'm sure at plenty of others, there are half-semester long courses that are good for as many credit-hours as full-semester courses. And at least at mine, they are still "addable". I just added a 3.0 hour primatology class. And don't worry too much about the W. It could be much worse, right? You could have waited and gotten a WF or just a regular ol' F. That would've hurt the GPA a bit.
 

davidbpage

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2004
10
0
Status
Why don't you ask your teacher to give you a provisional grade--i.e. a crappy one--under the stipulation that she will change it to an "A" if you make up the conferences in the next semester?
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
DrDrummer said:
At my school, and I'm sure at plenty of others, there are half-semester long courses that are good for as many credit-hours as full-semester courses. And at least at mine, they are still "addable". I just added a 3.0 hour primatology class. And don't worry too much about the W. It could be much worse, right? You could have waited and gotten a WF or just a regular ol' F. That would've hurt the GPA a bit.
Thanks. I don't think my school offers half-semester courses. But there are several different sections with different profs that teach this particular english class. And so I was wondering, do you think i could ask a prof if i could drop my section and change into theirs? Do you think that might work?

Also, someone mentioned doing an independent study. How does this work?

Thanks.
 

blowe46

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
56
0
Status
Is a W that big of a deal? I mean if you had health concerns and had to withdraw would that be a negative thing?
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
blowe46 said:
Is a W that big of a deal? I mean if you had health concerns and had to withdraw would that be a negative thing?
Not at all, withdrawing isn't a big deal if you're actually ill. But my situation is different so it is a bad thing.

But oh well, worst comes to worst, I have more time for tennis and other various types of, lets say, "social activities." :D
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
Up40Love said:
I know I am a huge tool and screwed up pretty bad. I added the class late and didn't really read the sylabus. I am hoping the dean accepts my petition and I don't get a W. Now I am just wondering if it is anyway possible that I can add a class? (I'm a freshman so I am not really familiar with how this works.)

Thanks!
sorry if you think it's harsh but it sounds like you are trying to weasel out of your responsibility here. If everyone else knew what they were supposed to do, why didn't you? And adding late is no excuse. Why should your prof or anyone else for that matter bail you out? Accept the consequences of your inaction and move on. Welcome to the real world.
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
MedicineBird said:
sorry if you think it's harsh but it sounds like you are trying to weasel out of your responsibility here. If everyone else knew what they were supposed to do, why didn't you? And adding late is no excuse. Why should your prof or anyone else for that matter bail you out? Accept the consequences of your inaction and move on. Welcome to the real world.
Dude, that was pretty harsh. I did really well on the papers and in class and I am not trying to weasel myself out of responsibility. I openly admitted it was my fault. The prof realized this and offered to cover me, I didn't even ask her. Right now I am just in a difficult position and looking for advice to remedy it. There's no reason for harsh judgments, I realize my mistakes.

But thanks anyway.
 

2tall

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
1,952
5
USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Visit site
Status
What about an (I)ncomplete? I guess you school doesn't have that. I took this course once...never really started it I guess...so the professor gave me an I. I retook the course during the summer session.

You're still going to be able to attend medical school, so calm down. Just tell the adcoms your W was for Winner!
 

dandelion

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
163
0
Status
2tall said:
What about an (I)ncomplete? I guess you school doesn't have that. I took this course once...never really started it I guess...so the professor gave me an I. I retook the course during the summer session.

You're still going to be able to attend medical school, so calm down. Just tell the adcoms your W was for Winner!
That's a good idea! Most schools will give out incompletes that change into an F if you do not make up the work soon. This way, you can continue to do the work you're doing for this class and make up the conferences next semester. You don't have to take the whole class over again, and your prof. doesn't have to grade additional papers from you. (I've taught English classes at the university level, as have many of my friends, and grading papers ain't too fun. Unless your prof. is an adjunct trying to drum up business for next semester, in that case she might want you to re-enroll. )
 

acarson

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2003
29
1
Springfield, Mo
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
Up40Love said:
Hello,

I am in a huge dilemma. I am thinking of withdrawing from my English class.
You're joking, right? If withdrawing from a class is a huge dilemma to you, then you have crises of titanic proportions in store before you graduate. I know as a freshman one tends to stress over, well, everything, but take a breath, and relax. A withdraw is NOT a huge problem at all. There is a possibility that it won't ever even be addressed come interview time. Even if you are asked about it, it will be ancient history and you can blame it on a freshman brain-fart. Trust me, there are A LOT of applicants out there in who would kill to have just one W on their transcript be their biggest scar.
 

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
1,282
177
Status
Attending Physician
Hehehe. This situation reminds me of when I made a D in calc my freshman year. I felt shattered. I was certain that medical school was completely out of reach and I was destined to become a janitor.

But guess what...ADCOMs realize that you screw up your freshman year, and as long as you learn from it they won't hold it against you. Long story short, I re-took calc and made an A - it is no longer an issue.

I know you're freaking out, so just use this as an opportunity to keep your syllabus and be sure you know what's expected in each class. One 'W' is certainly not going to sink your ship, as long as you don't accumulate more than 2 or 3, you're fine. Plus it's in a non-science class anyways, big deal.
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
Holy ****!! I just talked to my English prof and she has agreed to not penialize me for missing the conferences---basically I just have to write an extra paper and attend conferences twice a week until the end of the semester! Apparently she went home for the weekend and felt really terrible for telling me to withdraw because she said I was a really talented writer and would forever regret it if she somehow hurt "such a bright student's chances for medical school." omg,I am so f%6cking happy!!! She is so awesome!!! Trust me, I will NEVER make such a huge idiotic mistake in my life ever again.

Thank you all for your advice and for caring responses!!!! My life is not ruined!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 

dtreese

Caramel Gollum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2001
20,482
4
44
KY, The Jelly State
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Despite what some politicos might think, "W" does not spell your doom. Buck up, it'll be fine.
 

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
1,282
177
Status
Attending Physician
your life never was ruined oh naive one!
 
OP
U

Up40Love

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
14
0
Status
SitraAchra said:
your life never was ruined oh naive one!
Haha, yeah I guess I was exaggerating a bit. Man, I just came back from my second English conference, and have a feeling that I will be spending a lot of time with my English prof this semester...