Huge Problem!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erbs8908

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my gpa at my university is 3.0, with a policy of replacing grades for repeated courses (so the old grade is excluded from the gpa). when filling out my aadsas I decided to pick "repeated" for those courses and not "exempt" (which I should have!). once i received my aadsas application in the mail my gpa was a 2.56!!!!!!!!!! they averaged the courses that were supposed to be excluded from my gpa!!!!

of course i spoke with aadsas and they told me that i was supposed to fill out the application based on what my university did, which would have been "exempt" for those repeat courses.

the problem is that I was worried that if i chose "exempt" when i wasn't suppose to, i would have my application thrown out. Also, i paid over $1000.00!!! so you would think they would have caught something like that and done their job! My transcripts say "excluded from GPA" on the the courses i repeated!, its so obvious! and no where on the website to they say to fill out the application according to your university.

Now i know i will have to reapply next year, but shouldnt i get my money back? all I was doing was following directions. Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

AADSAS averages all your attempts in all your courses. In another words, as long as there is a grade on your transcript, it gets averaged in (regardless of how your school calculated it). This is their rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
comet is right, AADSAS GPA policy is different than your school's GPA. looks like your school has a "last grade stand" policy or "course forgiveness" policy that allows the lower grades of your repeated course to not be included in your overall GPA. AADSAS will average in all the grades, repeated or not. Because if they allow you to exemplify your lower grades because your university allows it, then they must also let other students whose universities that does not have a this type of policy, to exemplify their lower grades of a repeated course.

amen!!..it's only fair

I didnt know you could exempt your courses repeated!!!! otherwise I would have done the same!!!

DREDAY said:
I didnt know you could exempt your courses repeated!!!! otherwise I would have done the same!!!

You can't! Read the previous posts! AADSAS averages every grade for repeated classes.

technically, it is fair. my school has a grade replace policy but lacks in different areas, such as an early drop date, etc.

erbs8908 said:
technically, it is fair. my school has a grade replace policy but lacks in different areas, such as an early drop date, etc.

Yes I agree with you. Schools like harvard and stanford can drop the class up to the minute before the final and they will not even get a W. That gives them a tremendous advantage over schools that do not offer such policies.

DREDAY said:
Yes I agree with you. Schools like harvard and stanford can drop the class up to the minute before the final and they will not even get a W. That gives them a tremendous advantage over schools that do not offer such policies.

what who says..i go to stanford..but i never heard anything like that..i heard i could "withdraw" the class and get incomplete on the trinscript..if i m correct..

I know that ADDSAS averages your gpa, but if an exempt option is inded available on the AADSAS application, then wouldn't one assume that some individuals would indeed be able to "exempt" their grades. Or is this option available only for students with special circumstances??

erbs8908 said:

What school do you go to? What kind of policy is that? Technically, everyone in your school can just repeat whatever course they did bad, and have it not counted against their GPA. If they keep on repeating courses, they are bound to get A's.

It's only fair AADSAS average the repeated course grades! I don't think you can just keep on repeating courses in dental school and be consider top of the class.