Human Anat. & Phys. or Microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, my fellow future dental professionals. I have but a single question for you honorable gentlemen and ladies.

As the time for Fall 2007 class registration has dawned, I find myself torn between which class to take for my "Biology II" credit: Anatomy and Physiology or Microbiology?

Whatever course I choose, I'll be taking it alongside Organic Chemistry I; I've heard that Microbiology typically entails less "bulk" studying (that is, compared to Anatomy and Physiology).

What would you guys (any adcoms out there?) recommend? Would any course "look" better on my transcript?
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

its really a toss up. i would say take microbiology but A&P can give you a good foundation for dental school too.

Greetings, my fellow future dental professionals. I have but a single question for you honorable gentlemen and ladies.

As the time for Fall 2007 class registration has dawned, I find myself torn between which class to take for my "Biology II" credit: Anatomy and Physiology or Microbiology?

Whatever course I choose, I'll be taking it alongside Organic Chemistry I; I've heard that Microbiology typically entails less "bulk" studying (that is, compared to Anatomy and Physiology).

What would you guys (any adcoms out there?) recommend? Would any course "look" better on my transcript?
Thanks...

Micro will definitely prepare you for first year d school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say A&P>Micro for dental school.

It looks like I will have to go with A & P; the Microbiology class offered is a diluted "for the Health Sciences" version for nursing students. Apparently, my university has two different Microbios...

I have heard micro is extremely helpful, but that is from people with no previous micro.

Either will be of great value in my book. Although, any class that covers Anatomy and Phys in one semester and is only 4 cr hours probably won't be that great anyway.

You still have to do gross in dental school, mine covers everything from the waist up.

We had a complete gross anatomy course (full body) in dental school - so it must depend on your school.

I took both Gross Anatomy and Micro (the Medical one) in undergrad and I found both very beneficial. I actually thought undergrad Micro was more helpful for me personally (having it down early gave me more time to study for boards)...I don't know about A&P (does your undergrad have a Gross Anatomy with dissection?) :luck:

I say micro, taking A&P that early you wont remember a thing.

take micro instead. Learn anatomy on your own. Make sure you take biochem. Biochem is in fact a pre-req for sevral d-skools. Biochem will take care of most of the physiology you would do in A&P.

Rev Balls