Human Rabies Vaccination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinny10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just curious if anyone has any advice as far as getting the rabies vaccination before starting school? I will be starting vet school in August and am trying to get my rabies vaccination, but can't seem to find anyone willing to give it to me! I have left a couple of messages with the state health department (my physician told me to contact them), but I'm not sure they will call me back anytime soon. Any suggestions? My school is offering the vaccination, but my insurance will not cover it through them.

Members don't see this ad.

Will your insurance not cover it through the school, or the insurance just wont cover it at all?

If they will cover it, I would contact that and see if they can refer you to a Travel Clinic in your area.

I agree. If they won't cover it through the school, ask them where they WILL cover it from.

I had to make several phone calls (and had many people act like I was completely ridiculous and stupid) before I found a place where I could receive it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people's insurance companies wont cover the rabies vax no matter where you get it ... because it's not considered to be a standard vaccine. ALTHOUGH, if you were to get bitten by an animal with an unknown vaccination history and you could not catch the animal your insurance company should pay for it because it's now part of a necessary tx (and you have to get a few more rabies vaccinations and a bunch of rabies IgG than the pre-exposure series).

Ironically I wish I could go back and find the cat who bit me to thank him/her ... got me out of having to pay for my rabies vaccine for school this year (and our school checks your titres for free...)

I'm not sure if this would be true for all insurance companies or not but one of the girls I go to school with said that she faxed paperwork from the school saying that the rabies vaccine is necessary, etc. to her insurance company and they covered it. I am actually going through my series right now and paying out of pocket because I don't have insurance :rolleyes: Good luck to you!

I am actually going through my series right now and paying out of pocket because I don't have insurance :rolleyes: Good luck to you!

I thought that CSU required all vet students to have insurance?

My insurance absolutely refused to cover it, no matter what proof I sent them or where I had it done. Insisted it was not medically necessary.

I had to make several phone calls (and had many people act like I was completely ridiculous and stupid) before I found a place where I could receive it.

That too. One clinic insisted that I must be wrong, that there was no such thing as a pre-exposure vaccine. Another said that their clinic wasn't allowed to order it in?

Anyway finally got it taken care of this summer, paying out of pocket. Glad that hassle is over with.