Humanities PhD to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philodendron

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read the MD/PhD threads on this forum with great interest. My question is: do any of you know or know of humanities PhDs who decided to become doctors (MDs or DOs)?

Members don't see this ad.

Philodendron said:
I have read the MD/PhD threads on this forum with great interest. My question is: do any of you know or know of humanities PhDs who decided to become doctors (MDs or DOs)?

Can't be much of a different jump than from JD, and I know there are quite a few of us on here.

Philodendron said:
Yes, I know one with a PhD in philosophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, the actual degree matters much less than the grades (particularly in the prereqs) and the scores on the MCAT.

To some degree, a humanities degree gives you an advantage in other areas. A lot of schools don't just want cookie-cutter bio degree/pre-med students. They want some degree of variation and they want people who can bring different skills to the field. At least that's my understanding from what I've read and heard.

Pete

Philodendron said:
There are people at U of Chicago who do combined MD/PhDs in social sciences and humanities. It's a very cool school; you might want to check it out. Also, there is a poster gdbaby who got her degree in anthro. It's not humanities, but it's non-natural science, anyway. You might want to PM her.

Thanks, guys! It's reassuring to hear that combination of interests is not completely unheard-of. Thank you, Q, for your suggestions about people to contact!

I'm cranking out my PhD dissertation in music history and slowly refreshing my math chops on the side. The master plan--assuming I can muster the mental energy--is to finish the diss, take a career-changers' postbacc, and start applying to med schools within four years. Philodendron, TarHeel, others--feel free to PM me if you wish.

NYM :)

Hello...I am a current PhD student and will begin fufilling my prereq. for Med School...I have been doing research on this topic and would like to know of people who have taken this path...If anyone is interested in this topic let me know! ITS POSSIBLE!

NY Musicologist said:
I'm cranking out my PhD dissertation in music history and slowly refreshing my math chops on the side. The master plan--assuming I can muster the mental energy--is to finish the diss, take a career-changers' postbacc, and start applying to med schools within four years. Philodendron, TarHeel, others--feel free to PM me if you wish.

NYM :)

It's nice to see some musicians here.

I was considering majoring in music as my undergraduate degree (w/ prerequisites), but was not accepted. I didn't reapply. Now I'm doing undergraduate psychology.