Hunter vs. NYU (cheaper or better school?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTSTAR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been accepted to NYU and Hunter in NYC. Hunter is MUCH cheaper and I don't really have the $$$ to attend NYU without taking on a lot of debt. Which school is the better option? Will NYU help me get a better job and higher salary when I graduate? Will NYU be better on the resume in the future?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an undergrad at Hunter and people are always comparing my school with Columbia and other prestigious schools. Hunter itself is rated #8 as one of the "Best Value Public Schools for 2009". I can't say from experience, but I feel that you're essentially getting the same education and as long as you get your license, the school won't matter much (but I can't say for sure since I'm only an undergrad). I'm going for occupational therapy and I told the pre-med adviser at Hunter that NYU and Columbia also offer OT programs (along with Downstate) and she scoffed. She said "...if you want to be in debt for the rest of your life" [by going to NYU or Columbia]. So I say you should go for Hunter. It's a pretty competitive program.

Here's the article on Hunter making the Top 10- http://www.nypost.com/seven/01082009/news/regionalnews/hunter_in_top_10_149219.htm

Oh, and congrats on getting into both institutions :D