Hurricane Harvey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all my fellow tejanos going through this, I hope y'all are somewhere safe, dry, with food and electricity.

So my balcony out here in Houston is on the verge of getting flooded - usually there's 5 five feet of clearance between the balcony and the ground, but since the bayou down the street overflowed last night, there's water a foot below the balcony.

My director wants me to assume I will be going to my shift as scheduled, despite the fact that every major highway and feeder highway in the city is flooded with more rain to fall well into next week. Funny guy. Not ha-ha funny, but funny nonetheless.

Stay safe everyone. Hope this is over soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
To all my fellow tejanos going through this, I hope y'all are somewhere safe, dry, with food and electricity.

So my balcony out here in Houston is on the verge of getting flooded - usually there's 5 five feet of clearance between the balcony and the ground, but since the bayou down the street overflowed last night, there's water a foot below the balcony.

My director wants me to assume I will be going to my shift as scheduled, despite the fact that every major highway and feeder highway in the city is flooded with more rain to fall well into next week. Funny guy. Not ha-ha funny, but funny nonetheless.

Stay safe everyone. Hope this is over soon.

In South Texas right now and dodged a bullet (my just a few miles). Good luck and stay safe. Absolutely do not risk your life trying to get to your shift. Nothing is worth that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking of you all from Florida. I was a resident during Wilma, and although we were spared significant damage, we were told to plan to sleep at the hospital for as long as it took.

I cannot imagine what ya'll are going through.

Ben Taub currently being evacuated.

Ben Taub Hospital evacuating patients

Here's what I don't understand about Ben Taub - it has a basement. I mean, wtf dude? Why does Ben Taub have a basement? Which engineering school flunkie thought it was a good idea to build a basament in a city that's basically a swamp below sea level?

I remember while in residency in a hurricane I watched the wind speeds because there was a cutoff for when they would shut down all bridges. We were expected to be on shift NO MATTER WHAT. so I reported a day early because wind speeds were getting up there. As an attending I will say that the expectations that the ER will be running full strong at all times even in emergencies/catastrophes is expected. We are a different breed and somehow get enough people in the hospital to not have to call another service to help staff us. ;) lol.

I'm bracing up for round two with Harvey. Come get some!

Anyone know or heard from dr mcninja in person? I hope he's ok....

Anyone know or heard from dr mcninja in person? I hope he's ok....

Corpus Christi was spared the worst of it. They even have their power back on.

He's providing care to first responders etc. out of an FSED in Rockport that amazingly survived, currently running off generator power.

Reactions: 4 users
Got home yesterday after going into hospital Saturday. Fortunately family and home was safe. Lost car in flood. Lots of heroism in getting to hospital and staying multiple days from docs/nurses/midlevels.

Thoughts and prayers go out to any forum members affected by this.
Hang in there.

I heard from someone in Houston that the Baylor higher ups are not letting their residents and faculty volunteer. Anyone know if that's true?

I have no idea but that makes sense. The folks at Baylor are going to have their hands full with patients right now! I wouldn't want them volunteering right now either

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea but that makes sense. The folks at Baylor are going to have their hands full with patients right now! I wouldn't want them volunteering right now either

Isn't Ben Taub closed?

I'm pretty sure most of them are reassigned somewhere else

I'm pretty sure most of them are reassigned somewhere else

Baylor EM has the contract for staffing George R Brown. That's a contributing factor. Also, I believe Ben Taub's ED is open.

I live in Beaumont. I have been out of town though. Headed back in tomorrow. Apparently they have been flying my colleagues in via helicopter. Sounds bad there. No running water expected for the next 5 days. Can't run lab tests in the hospital I hear.

I 10 Winnie Tx
6bf6-WibkmwGM25RVq4O-TluaRvKfN9HRmpUzPSMHeY.jpg

It's amazing and horrific. Certain parts of Houston look like the apocalypse, but lots of places look as if nothing ever happened. Sometimes they're very close to each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah but fill up on gas if you haven't done so. This storm knocked out 9 refineries, and many gas stations are all out.

Corpus faired pretty well.
Rockport is close to annihilated. TTF-1 did the door to door SAR. They estimated 30% of the homes are demolished, and 30-40% are unlivable. No power here still, no expectation of when. School district is closed "indefinitely".
The closest hospital to my FSED suffered catastrophic damage and is closed.
Everyone crawling out of the woodwork to help, but in a week we won't have any help.

Rockport is close to annihilated. TTF-1 did the door to door SAR. They estimated 30% of the homes are demolished, and 30-40% are unlivable. No power here still, no expectation of when. School district is closed "indefinitely".
Everyone crawling out of the woodwork to help, but in a week we won't have any help.

Good luck and stay safe. Prayers and well-wishes.

send money. There's lots of people here. NRG stadium (where the Texans play) is now a shelter. There was a humongous line of people waiting to sign up and volunteer

Best wishes, man. Did you home & FSED come out alright, or at least semi-alright?

Best wishes, man. Did you home & FSED come out alright, or at least semi-alright?
House is fine. FSED has mostly cosmetic damage. Lost the fence to the equipment yard, some trim on the roof, and a whole bunch of oak trees. All in all, pretty lucky. Had we not redone that building, it would have likely been a total loss. The Hospice office on the same property, built at the same time, lost the roof and is a total loss.

House is fine. FSED has mostly cosmetic damage. Lost the fence to the equipment yard, some trim on the roof, and a whole bunch of oak trees. All in all, pretty lucky. Had we not redone that building, it would have likely been a total loss. The Hospice office on the same property, built at the same time, lost the roof and is a total loss.

Glad things turned out "pretty lucky" as you say. I went through a hurricane last year and my face Irma here in a few weeks. Hopefully, not and that it turns out to sea and dies.

Glad things turned out "pretty lucky" as you say. I went through a hurricane last year and my face Irma here in a few weeks. Hopefully, not and that it turns out to sea and dies.
It's hard to say we suffered any when others literally within eyesight have lost everything.