HY Neuroanatomy + Kaplan Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mele

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

To anyone who used the Kaplan lecture notes (7 volumes), would you say the neuroanatomy covered in Kaplan anatomy was complete (in order to do well) for Step I? Or would you recommend supplementing with HY NA?

Thank you for your advice. :p :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I can't quite answer your question because I didn't use Kaplan at all, but I used HY Neuro with First Aid and thought it was sufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to give Deja Review a look. Deja Review Neuroscience is golden. It is more clinically oriented than HY NA & is way more high yield. Literally everything in that review book is high yield. Used it for NBME shelf & it's still doing wonders right now as I do QBanks.

Been wondering the same thing. I've gone through kaplan and thought it was excellent review, which made it a lot easier to understand FA. HY NA seems to have the same info as kaplan, but more detail (maybe TOO much detail?) and organized in a less helpful fashion.

I found HY to be overly detailed. I would read Kaplan first, then you could skim HY neuro if you still feel weak, recognizing that HY is a bit overkill with some topics. That being said, HY neuro is MORE than enough, so if you end up doing it and feeling comfortable with it, you should be set.

I actually ended up having a surprising # of neuro/neuroanatomy Q on my exam, so I wouldn't blow off neuroanatomy as "just a subset of anatomy" or anything, esp since it's like...the last chapter in Kaplan

I found HY to be overly detailed. I would read Kaplan first, then you could skim HY neuro if you still feel weak, recognizing that HY is a bit overkill with some topics. That being said, HY neuro is MORE than enough, so if you end up doing it and feeling comfortable with it, you should be set.

I actually ended up having a surprising # of neuro/neuroanatomy Q on my exam, so I wouldn't blow off neuroanatomy as "just a subset of anatomy" or anything, esp since it's like...the last chapter in Kaplan

Was Kaplan (+ First Aid but really First Aid is lacking here) enough for your exam? I've gone through both but don't remember anything I've read from HY because it felt like information overload. Kaplan seems like a bare-bone skeleton in comparison. I'll go through the cross-sectional anatomy chapter again in HY, but I don't know if I should invest a lot of time re-reading that HY beast.

Did Kaplan NeuroScience + HY Neuroanatomy ... HY is required for the Images,which Kaplan evidntly lacks & also one pass of HY puts you on track as regards memorizing facts .....