Hyaline cartilage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whe examining hyaline cartilage under a microscope, one expects to find which of the following?

A. canaliculi
B. microscopic blood vessels
C. peptide fibers
D. Volkmann's canals


I thought the answer should have been C, but EK says it's B. I thought cartilage has no blood vessels. Is hyaline cartilage an exception?
 
Whe examining hyaline cartilage under a microscope, one expects to find which of the following?

A. canaliculi
B. microscopic blood vessels
C. peptide fibers
D. Volkmann's canals


I thought the answer should have been C, but EK says it's B. I thought cartilage has no blood vessels. Is hyaline cartilage an exception?

I would go with elimination of wrong answers first. D and A are in bones, which leaves the choice between C and B. Peptide fibers are found in elastic cartilage, and according to my anatomy book, the fine collagen fibers cannot be seen in hyaline cartilage. That leaves choice B.

However, my anatomy book also states that cartilage does not contain nerves or blood vessels. The nerves and vessels are located in the perichondrium which surrounds the cartilage and the cells in the cartilage receive nutrients from diffusion... That eliminates the last choice. There is no RIGHT answer. Send the question to EK and tell them that you want your money back.

dsoz
 
thought it would be C as well, how in the world does it have blood vessels when the reason cartilage can't repair itself is because it does NOT have blood vessels
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad