Hybrid DPT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mad.dpt

Reaction score
I'm making my final decisions on where to attend for my DPT and have narrowed it down to 3 schools: 1 traditional 3 year long program, 1 traditional 2.5 year long program, and 1 hybrid program that is 25 months.

Does anyone have any thoughts about a hybrid program? Anyone completed or in a hybrid program now? Is the work load manageable/ do you feel connected to the cohort/ faculty? It is for a school I've always considered my top choice (I was waitlisted for their traditional program), although I do really love my other options as well. The program being hybrid includes online lectures that are both asynchronous and synchronous along with 10 in person lab immersion experiences that are several days in length each. All clinicals are in person and have same placements as the traditional programs I am looking at. I am also a career change if that's applicable! (Graduated fairly recently in 2018)

Looking for all thoughts about this! Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak to my experience of course... But right now my program, which is normally a 2.5 year traditional program (all in-person), is a hybrid and sounds a lot like what typical hybrid programs would be. I’m thinking that due to COVID, a lot of programs have adopted a hybrid model in order to keep educating. I was a first year from 2019-2020 so I got a lot of in person time that transferred to completely online and is now hybrid. In my first year, I feel like I had a lot of time to get to know my classmates with the two trimesters that I had in person - but I think it would have been very hard to start in this format and get to know my classmates as well (I’m also in a very large program, so in a smaller program this may not be the case!). That being said, right now the hybrid style is working really well for me and I feel like I’m learning just as much as I was when we were consistently in person.

Good luck in making your decision and congratulations on your acceptances!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user