PhD Hybrid program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phdinfo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I am not a student, but I joined to learn from you. I'm trying to learn more about what students want from their PhD training in public health disciplines. I hope it is ok to be here. We offer a PhD program that is a bit eclectic in that students achieve core competencies in biostatistics, epidemiology, and health serivces research. I know that this might not appeal to some, but my guess is that for others it may be a real draw to be able to have student-centric training. My worry is that potential trainees may not get what a PhD in "Clinical and Population Health Research" is. We only had a few applicants - despite having providing a generous stipend, health insurance, and tuition waivers. I'm extending our application period through June 15 - but am wondering if students are willing to share any insights on how important the name is. It also sounds like everyone goes through the SOPHAS portal - does this mean students disregard the programs not eligible for the common portal because they are not a school of public health?

Any advice would be appreciated on how to get on the radar screen for students looking for this type of training.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can tell you that the places I applied for a PhD were based on the extent to which faculty and students at that program were conducting research and publishing in the particular area of my interest. I applied for 3 standard epidemiology programs and 1 interdisciplinary program. I wonder if you lack publicity for your program; I would certainly have considered a program such as you describe (and the stipend and tuition waivers would have made me very interested), although in the end probably would not have applied as my research interests are very specific and I would have probably looked into your program if you had faculty with interests that mirrored mine. Only one of the programs I applied to was through SOPHAS so I don't think that's the issue and I don't think the name of the program is a problem (although I certainly have been advised by several people that for job prospects, a standard epidemiology PhD is more recognizable and understandable than an interdisciplinary PhD). If you were to post an announcement on this forum with the extended application date and more information it wouldn't surprise me if you got some great applicants.

Hi-

I am not a student, but I joined to learn from you. I'm trying to learn more about what students want from their PhD training in public health disciplines. I hope it is ok to be here. We offer a PhD program that is a bit eclectic in that students achieve core competencies in biostatistics, epidemiology, and health serivces research. I know that this might not appeal to some, but my guess is that for others it may be a real draw to be able to have student-centric training. My worry is that potential trainees may not get what a PhD in "Clinical and Population Health Research" is. We only had a few applicants - despite having providing a generous stipend, health insurance, and tuition waivers. I'm extending our application period through June 15 - but am wondering if students are willing to share any insights on how important the name is. It also sounds like everyone goes through the SOPHAS portal - does this mean students disregard the programs not eligible for the common portal because they are not a school of public health?

Any advice would be appreciated on how to get on the radar screen for students looking for this type of training.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi-

I'd be interested to know more about your program. Where is it? What are the exact details?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be interested to know more about your program. Where is it? What are the exact details?
Hi,
We are located in Worcester, MA at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. About half the students live in Boston and commute in. We are a small program (class sizes typically do not exceed 8-12 people). We have a mix of MD/Phd, Phd students (typically with Master's training under their belt), and junior faculty in the classroom. We have hands on learning experiences that emphasizes working on manuscripts, abstracts, and presentations to develop a portfolio that will make you highly competitive when you graduate. We match you to mentors on the way into the program so that from day 1 you are working closely with a research team that is a good fit. Stipend for PhD students is $29,500 with health insurance, tuition, fees and waivers covered.

www.umassmed.edu/cphr

We still have funded slots- and we continue to accept applications. The work around (because our official deadline was Jan 5) is to apply to the MSCI program or the Pathways Program and click CPHR - and then shoot me an email ([email protected]) so I can transfer it over to our admissions committee.

Best-
Kate

Attachments

• CPHR Brochure 2014.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 36