Hybridization Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Quick question from my TPR FL.

What is the hybridization of XeF4?

Answer is sp3d2, but why? I am pretty comfortable with sp, sp2, and sp3.... when d orbitals get involved it gets a little hairy.

Members don't see this ad.

Draw out the Lewis structure of XeF4. You'll find that it has four fluoride ligands bound to it, along with two lone pairs. That gives a total of six"things" around the Xe center, thereby requiring six hybridized orbitals. Start with s, p, and then d. So the s hybridizes, along with the 3 p orbitals, giving you four hybrid orbitals. You need two more, so you take 2 d orbitals as well to yield a total of 6 hybrid orbitals.

Reactions: 1 user
Draw out the Lewis structure of XeF4. You'll find that it has four fluoride ligands bound to it, along with two lone pairs. That gives a total of six"things" around the Xe center, thereby requiring six hybridized orbitals. Start with s, p, and then d. So the s hybridizes, along with the 3 p orbitals, giving you four hybrid orbitals. You need two more, so you take 2 d orbitals as well to yield a total of 6 hybrid orbitals.

Thank you. I guess the noble gas configuration of Xenon tripped me up. Didn't consider it's expanded role in the octet rule.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Yes, always remember your procedures for drawing Lewis structures. You know that Xenon has 8 valence electrons and fluorine has 7, so there are a total of 36 electrons in this system. The only scenario where you can distribute all 36 electrons is having two lone pairs on the Xe center.

Reactions: 1 user