Hybridization, Substitution and BDE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ginger Ale

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I was doing passage 1, test one in BKR's orgo workbook and I was looking at the table they provided trying to find a trend between BDE and hybridization. Is there such a trend? Would a sp3-sp3 bond have a lower BDE than an sp-sp3 bond between carbons? If so, why?

Also, does a tertiary carbon bonded to a primary carbon have a lower BDE than a secondary carbon bonded to a primary carbon? If so, does this explain why heat of combustion for a branched alkane is lower than that of a straight chain alkane (i.e 2-methlyhexane versus propane) ?

Thank you! I appreciate your help 🙂
 
Hey all, I was doing passage 1, test one in BKR's orgo workbook and I was looking at the table they provided trying to find a trend between BDE and hybridization. Is there such a trend? Would a sp3-sp3 bond have a lower BDE than an sp-sp3 bond between carbons? If so, why?

Also, does a tertiary carbon bonded to a primary carbon have a lower BDE than a secondary carbon bonded to a primary carbon? If so, does this explain why heat of combustion for a branched alkane is lower than that of a straight chain alkane (i.e 2-methlyhexane versus propane) ?

Thank you! I appreciate your help 🙂

For the trend to work we need to compare bonds with the same atoms (ie carbon-carbon). The more s-character the shorter the bond. Shorter bonds are stronger bonds--therefore, they have higher BDE's. A sp3-sp3 bond would have a lower BDE than an sp-sp3 bond due to the fact that it has more p-character (thus longer and weaker). Remember that BDE is a measurement of how much energy it takes a break a bond homolytically.

A tertiary carbon bonded to a primary carbon should have a lower BDE than a secondary bonded to a primary. This is due to the stability of the radical products. For heats of combustion, we have to look at the stability of the initial compounds if we are making a comparison. The more stable compound will have a lower heat of combustion than the less stable compound. The equation: delta H = energy of bonds broken - energy of bonds formed, explains it best in my opinion

hope that helps.
 
Hey all, I was doing passage 1, test one in BKR's orgo workbook and I was looking at the table they provided trying to find a trend between BDE and hybridization. Is there such a trend? Would a sp3-sp3 bond have a lower BDE than an sp-sp3 bond between carbons? If so, why?

Also, does a tertiary carbon bonded to a primary carbon have a lower BDE than a secondary carbon bonded to a primary carbon? If so, does this explain why heat of combustion for a branched alkane is lower than that of a straight chain alkane (i.e 2-methlyhexane versus propane) ?

Thank you! I appreciate your help 🙂

sp-sp3 will have a higher BDE than a sp3-sp3 bond because it is shorter in length (and thus, stronger bond) than the sp3-sp3 bond. The shorter = the stronger = the higher BDE (meaning it takes a lot more energy to break that bond)