1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Hydroboration

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Jaba, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Jaba

Jaba S.mutans
    5+ Year Member

In Kaplan book it often shows the quick start products, some intermediate products and the end products...

I know that the hydroboration mechanism is very very time consuming to draw out... I was just curious if we should focus on the final outcome of such a mechanism, or if we need to focus on the full mechanism steps as well.

Thanks.

2. harrygt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Oh no Boy, just know that it adds water to a double bond in an anti-Markonvnikov and also SYN manner. Just look at the ochem questions on DAT. They are a piece of cake. You don't need to know the mechanism of such a reaction. I remember that my teacher did not even get in the mechanism details for this reaction!

3. Jaba

Jaba S.mutans
    5+ Year Member

Ok thanks for your input! I know the mechanisms, but i think for the DAT there wouldn't be the time to draw it all out LOL..

Thanks again! I'll focus more on the bigger picture.