Hydrogen bonding and Van der Waals forces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DentAK907

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im not sure if I'm understanding this question correctly. I though that h-bonding is technically a type of van der waals force because it is just a specific type of dipole-dipole force. This Crack the DAT question says otherwise. If anyone could help me clarify this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Question is in attachment below:
Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 12.21.06 PM.png
 
Van der vals is based on size of the atom. Hydrogen bonds are not van der wals (London dispersion forces) and are much stronger.
 
Last edited:
Intermolecular forces: (strongest) H-bond > Dipole-dipole > LDF/Van der Waals (weakest)
-H-bond: Hydrogen bonding with F, O, N.
-Dipole-dipole: H-Cl-----H-Cl, there's a dipole. Cl is partial negative and H is partial positive = dipole.
-LDF: all molecules have them, but nonpolar molecules ONLY has LDF.

To answer your question, H-bond is NOT LDF/Van der Waals. H-bond is one of the intermolecular forces. LDF/Van der Waals is another type of IMF.
 
Although H-Bonding can be understood as a specific type of Dipole-Dipole, it's not classified as a Van der Waals force as it's much stronger than the Van der Waals forces along with some other reasons that set it apart.
Van der Waals forces include Dipole-Dipole interactions and London Dispersion forces.
side note: some people use the term Van der Waals force to mean London Dispersion force. Although I've seen sources use the terms interchangeably, I'd avoid doing it.