hypervigilance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have noticed that as I have advanced in training, when I go to large public events, I find myself getting a little nervous, scoping the crowd, hoping no one will pass out and that I will hear the inevitable "is there a doctor in the house". (not so much that I don't enjoy my show but it pops in)

Especially as an EM doctor, I'm actually QUALIFIED to respond.

And yesterday it happened. I was just off shift, sitting in a bar waiting for my friend who was also coming off shift. She was walking down the street. I'm sitting there and this girl runs in and says "a guy on a motorcycle just got hit by a car". I was still in my scrubs and had the foresight to grab my stethascope as I ran outside. A guy was face down on the ground in a pool of blood, agonally breathing. There was also a paramedic in the bar who came out as well. We inline stabilized and rolled him, good breathsounds and got him into the ambulance once ems got there.

(makes you realize how little you have in the field. No iv, nothin.)

I was talking to one of my attending friends who said the same thing. "I look around and think there's a lot of CAD here. "

Members don't see this ad.

i find myself noticing who has especially good EJs in a crowd...

anonymousEM said:
i find myself noticing who has especially good EJs in a crowd...

or who has great landmarks for an ij

Members don't see this ad :)
I got over that stuff a while ago. Beer helps.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

beeeeeeeeeeer.

Thanks to my medical training, I am hypervigilant to the "PID Shuffle." I can spot that a half a click away.

Q

I really want to cric someone. I fantasize about someone in a restaurant having an indication. I carry a special pocket-knife and a bic pen. I hope this will never be used against me in a court of law.

I always respond to emergencies. The other day there was an accident on the highway and I pulled over. I pushed the people there aside and confidently said: "Clear the way, I'm a radiologist. Do you need any imaging?" They said they didn't have a CT scanner so I just left. Why would anyone be in a trauma without a CT scanner handy? It just doesn't make sense. I smell a lawsuit brewing. Lack of imaging in the field.

roja said:
So, I have noticed that as I have advanced in training, when I go to large public events, I find myself getting a little nervous, scoping the crowd, hoping no one will pass out and that I will hear the inevitable "is there a doctor in the house". (not so much that I don't enjoy my show but it pops in)

Especially as an EM doctor, I'm actually QUALIFIED to respond.

And yesterday it happened. I was just off shift, sitting in a bar waiting for my friend who was also coming off shift. She was walking down the street. I'm sitting there and this girl runs in and says "a guy on a motorcycle just got hit by a car". I was still in my scrubs and had the foresight to grab my stethascope as I ran outside. A guy was face down on the ground in a pool of blood, agonally breathing. There was also a paramedic in the bar who came out as well. We inline stabilized and rolled him, good breathsounds and got him into the ambulance once ems got there.

(makes you realize how little you have in the field. No iv, nothin.)

I was talking to one of my attending friends who said the same thing. "I look around and think there's a lot of CAD here. "
I think it's pretty common for anyone in EMS or EM to be constantly aware of their surroundings. I'm definitely the same way, anyhow, and I've had a couple of instances where I've run into a person who was stabbed and also someone who had been beaten up (no weapons). Good job helping that man.

Whisker Barrel Cortex said:
I always respond to emergencies. The other day there was an accident on the highway and I pulled over. I pushed the people there aside and confidently said: "Clear the way, I'm a radiologist. Do you need any imaging?" They said they didn't have a CT scanner so I just left. Why would anyone be in a trauma without a CT scanner handy? It just doesn't make sense. I smell a lawsuit brewing. Lack of imaging in the field.

*lol*

Indeed.

Hey roja, how are you doing?

Here is the preamble to a sales letter that I created. It may not have much truth to it, but just thought it would be an intresting fact:

Dear Reader,

A middle-aged man in the state of Florida began to have a massive heart attack. To escape the pain, the man laid on the ground profoundly still. He was a devoted Christian and began to pray, asking God to save his life.

When he started having shortness of breath, an ambulance came by and the people on it said, "Hey, man, climb on and we can rush you to the coronary care unit at the hospital!" The man, however, answered, "No, I have faith in God. He'll save me!" So the ambulance went away.

About an hour later, the man began to experience cold sweats and shortness his breath, a doctor came by, and the doctor said, "Hey, man, I am a doctor, I have a defibrillating machine and I can administer you some oxygen!" The man again answered, "No, I have faith in God, He'll save me!" So the doctor went away, too.

Another hour later, the man's artery had become completely narrowed and the man was clenching his fist and not restlessly tossing nor turning. A Surgeon was passing by, and the Surgeon said, "Hey, man, you are about to die, climb up here so I can give you an emergency coronary bypass operation!" The man again answered, "No, I have faith in God, He'll save me!" So the surgeon went away also, and the man ended up dying.

Since he was a good man and a devoted Christian, he went to heaven. He then went to God and asked, "I trusted You to save me! Why didn't You?" God answered, "Hey, man, I sent an ambulance, a doctor, and a surgeon to save you! What more do you need?"

Best wishes,

:D

that's great.

I've heard the same with a man stuck on an island, praying to God to be rescued.

A helicopter shows up, but the guy turns it down, saying God will help him.

He dies & tells God - I waited and waited and you never saved me.

God reples, "who do you think sent that damn helicopter!?"