hypnotism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if hypnotism is real and are psychologists taught to do it.
Thanks
Nev

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, its real:
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2000/08.21/hypnosis.html

However, there are two BIG caveats:
1) This kind of stuff only works on "highly hypnotizable" people, which is a small proportion of the population.
2) You usually can't get people to do stuff against their will, like in those hypnosis stage shows.

I have a bit of personal experience with self-hypnosis, I just feel like I'm in a sort of hypnagogic state: my body is asleep and my mind is awake. Anyway, interesting stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my preceptors and chief of staff at my hospital is trained in hypnosis and offers to train the residents in it. Apparently he has a substantial clientele that engage in this. He is also boarded in pain management (strange isn't it? since now you have to do anesthisiology to practice pain!) and I think he utilizes this technique for his pain patients as well.

Poety said:
One of my preceptors and chief of staff at my hospital is trained in hypnosis and offers to train the residents in it. Apparently he has a substantial clientele that engage in this. He is also boarded in pain management (strange isn't it? since now you have to do anesthisiology to practice pain!) and I think he utilizes this technique for his pain patients as well.

Who is this?