Hypomagnesemia and PTH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So FA 2012 Errata says that decrease Mg should have increase PTH (not low PTH as written currently). Goljan says there is increased PTH with all hypoparathyroidism. Tried looking on the net a little but I couldn't find much. Which is it?

High PTH makes sense because the problem is not with the parathyroid glands but rather the target tissue (Mg is a cofactor for cAMP production) but I saw a couple of sites stating that Mg is also important for the production of PTH itself. As a rule, I don't like going against Goljan but I'm not sure on this one.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: just found part in Wiki article that states "severely low Mg" causes "low circulating PTH". More confusion as to why.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the reason why, but there is a CBSSA/NBME question where you're asked what ion deficiency is associated with hypoparathyroidism. The answer was of course hypomagnesemia, but they didn't require you to know what the circulating PTH levels were.

You'd figure if circulating PTH levels were high with low magnesium, they'd call it another variant of pseudohypoparathyroidism where it's a problem with end organ resistance, or in the specific instance of low magnesium, a problem in the effector pathway (cAMP, as you've mentioned).

So FA 2012 Errata says that decrease Mg should have increase PTH (not low PTH as written currently). Goljan says there is increased PTH with all hypoparathyroidism. Tried looking on the net a little but I couldn't find much. Which is it?

High PTH makes sense because the problem is not with the parathyroid glands but rather the target tissue (Mg is a cofactor for cAMP production) but I saw a couple of sites stating that Mg is also important for the production of PTH itself. As a rule, I don't like going against Goljan but I'm not sure on this one.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: just found part in Wiki article that states "severely low Mg" causes "low circulating PTH". More confusion as to why.

You need to read more Goljan. Page 493 very last line says decreased PTH. He also explains why magnesium is important a few lines up from that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Per gunnertraining, which is what I remember learning in phys as well - small decreases in [Mg2+] stimulate PTH release, while severe decreases in [Mg2+] inhibit PTH release

Per gunnertraining, which is what I remember learning in phys as well - small decreases in [Mg2+] stimulate PTH release, while severe decreases in [Mg2+] inhibit PTH release

Can someone do their best to tie this all together, I'm just not getting it. I too have memorized that a small decrease promotes PTH and a large drop in Mg inhibits PTH, this was in BRS Phys. But I hate relying on memorization and the link that was provided above didn't make much sense to me. For example what does inhibition of IP3 pathway have to do with PTH which uses cAMP, or is this referring to Ca/Mg receptors on the PT gland? There must be some Gunner out there just itching to show off there stuff. Please help.

I would love an explanation as well if there is one, although I vaguely remember my professor saying a mechanism hadn't been elucidated for that difference yet

You need to read more Goljan. Page 493 very last line says decreased PTH. He also explains why magnesium is important a few lines up from that.

You are right. Typo on my behalf as I was looking at that page while I was typing. Still doesn't answer the question though...

I have Goljan as my professor and I'll ask him directly next time I see him.. He's been saying all along that Mg is a cofactor in adenyl cyclase in the parathyroid and that decreased Mg2+ levels cause decrease cAMP and therefore decreased PTH.

Its a cause of primary hypothyroidism essentially because you will see decreased PTH and decreased Ca in Mg deficiency.
The case in point he provides is this is a cause in hospital patients who are deficient in Mg.

Reactions: 1 user
I have Goljan as my professor and I'll ask him directly next time I see him.. He's been saying all along that Mg is a cofactor in adenyl cyclase in the parathyroid and that decreased Mg2+ levels cause decrease cAMP and therefore decreased PTH.

Its a cause of primary hypothyroidism essentially because you will see decreased PTH and decreased Ca in Mg deficiency.
The case in point he provides is this is a cause in hospital patients who are deficient in Mg.

Thanks!

Vetter T, Lohse MJ. Magnesium and the parathyroid. Institute for Pharmacology and Toxicology, Würzburg, Germany. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2002 Jul;11(4):403-10.

I just read the above article on PubMed. I recommend the read, however it's very long, so I'll summarize the mechanism below. By the way, I've read on some forums/threads that Mg2+ is a cofactor for cAMP, which is blatantly wrong. Mg2+ is a cofactor for the production of cAMP, not for the actual molecule itself.

Firstly, Mg2+ and Ca2+ act on the same negative feedback receptor on parathyroid chief cells. The receptor is called CaR. Magnesium is considered a partial agonist because it has 2-3x lesser affinity for CaR than calcium (both Ca and Mg are group2 alkali metals, so it's reasonable that they'd both bind given their 2s electrons).

The activation of CaR induces G-protein activity via both G-alpha-i and G-alpha-q cascades (if you don't know what that means, the chart on the bottom of p.263 in FA runs you through the different G-protein pathways), thereby causing transient cytoplasmic calcium influx, activation of phospholipase-A2, decreased cAMP activity and subsequent inhibited release of PTH. It is the combination of both G-alpha-i and G-alpha-q proteins, as stimulated by CaR, that is required for inhibition of PTH release.

As serum [Mg2+] decreases, CaR activation decreases and PTH secretion increases. This mechanism represents the inverse relationship that we'd expect for both the calcium-PTH relationship as well as the Mg-PTH one.

So far so good.

However, when serum [Mg2+] falls below 0.5mM, the inverse relationship no longer holds and PTH release decreases. This is known as the "paradoxical block of PTH secretion."

As long as [Mg2+] is > 0.5mM, there will always be some degree of Mg2+ binding to CaR, because even though Mg2+ is only a partial agonist of the receptor (decreased Vmax), the receptor's affinity for Mg2+ is still high (low Km).

Now, even though Mg2+ binding to CaR induces inhibitory effects on PTH secretion, its binding at baseline quantities maintains functionality of the PTH-inhibitory cascade, so in the "absence" of Mg2+ (<0.5mM), CaR loses functionality, but in such a fashion that it is constitutively activated, rather than non-signalling.

Therefore, with hypomagnesaemia reaching serum [Mg2+] < 0.5mM, constitutive CaR activity inhibits PTH secretion. This explains why some patients with hypocalcaemia are refractory to Tx with Ca2+ and vitamin D; only restoration of serum Mg2+ will restore serum [Ca2+] when the patient is dual hypocalcaemic and magnesaemic.

I hope that helps. As I said up above, I've read different mechanisms across random forum posts, so I had to go to PubMed to get information that's peer-reviewed.

~Phloston

Reactions: 6 users
Vetter T, Lohse MJ. Magnesium and the parathyroid. Institute for Pharmacology and Toxicology, Würzburg, Germany. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2002 Jul;11(4):403-10.

I just read the above article on PubMed. I recommend the read, however it's very long, so I'll summarize the mechanism below. By the way, I've read on some forums/threads that Mg2+ is a cofactor for cAMP, which is blatantly wrong. Mg2+ is a cofactor for the production of cAMP, not for the actual molecule itself.

Firstly, Mg2+ and Ca2+ act on the same negative feedback receptor on parathyroid chief cells. The receptor is called CaR. Magnesium is considered a partial agonist because it has 2-3x lesser affinity for CaR than calcium (both Ca and Mg are group2 alkali metals, so it's reasonable that they'd both bind given their 2s electrons).

The activation of CaR induces G-protein activity via both G-alpha-i and G-alpha-q cascades (if you don't know what that means, the chart on the bottom of p.263 in FA runs you through the different G-protein pathways), thereby causing transient cytoplasmic calcium influx, activation of phospholipase-A2, decreased cAMP activity and subsequent inhibited release of PTH. It is the combination of both G-alpha-i and G-alpha-q proteins, as stimulated by CaR, that is required for inhibition of PTH release.

As serum [Mg2+] decreases, CaR activation decreases and PTH secretion increases. This mechanism represents the inverse relationship that we'd expect for both the calcium-PTH relationship as well as the Mg-PTH one.

So far so good.

However, when serum [Mg2+] falls below 0.5mM, the inverse relationship no longer holds and PTH release decreases. This is known as the "paradoxical block of PTH secretion."

As long as [Mg2+] is > 0.5mM, there will always be some degree of Mg2+ binding to CaR, because even though Mg2+ is only a partial agonist of the receptor (decreased Vmax), the receptor's affinity for Mg2+ is still high (low Km).

Now, even though Mg2+ binding to CaR induces inhibitory effects on PTH secretion, its binding at baseline quantities maintains functionality of the PTH-inhibitory cascade, so in the "absence" of Mg2+ (<0.5mM), CaR loses functionality, but in such a fashion that it is constitutively activated, rather than non-signalling.

Therefore, with hypomagnesaemia reaching serum [Mg2+] < 0.5mM, constitutive CaR activity inhibits PTH secretion. This explains why some patients with hypocalcaemia are refractory to Tx with Ca2+ and vitamin D; only restoration of serum Mg2+ will restore serum [Ca2+] when the patient is dual hypocalcaemic and magnesaemic.

I hope that helps. As I said up above, I've read different mechanisms across random forum posts, so I had to go to PubMed to get information that's peer-reviewed.

~Phloston

Thanks for taking the time to explain that