MD & DO Hypothetical Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So some you reading this may have seen my previous post, "Pharm to MD." This is kind of a part II to that post.

So to summarize the aforementioned post for clarity:

I'm an undergraduate senior about to graduate. I have wanted to do medicine from early high school until beginning of junior year of college. During that time, I did some shadowing and volunteering at a clinic. But during college, overcome with self-doubt and anxiety, I abandoned medicine in lieu of pharmacy. Having taken the PCAT and applied to, interviewed for, and been accepted to pharmacy schools, I am just now gaining back my confidence and faith in myself. Because of this, I want to pursue what I actually want to do with my life.

TL;DR I am strongly considering deferring my admission to a pharmacy program for one year to gain experience and study/take the MCAT. If I do well on the MCAT and gain experience, I will skip pharmacy and pursue what I truly want to do by applying for the entering Fall 2020 cycle.

But what I want to know my chances being admitted to DO or MD programs for my *hypothetical* best-case scenario. I know it hasn't happened yet, but I'm genuinely curious.

Note: things with an astrics (*) before it will be things that I'm projecting and have not yet happened

GPAs:
3.62 (cGPA) and 3.44 (sGPA)

MCAT:
-Already made a 6-month study schedule with the Kaplan book series, so I hope to be getting at least 508.
-Historically on tests (using the PCAT as the basis for this), I do great in the reading/writing section, very well in math and chemistry sections, and good in biology sections

State residency:
Oregon; strong connections to New York and Vermont

Ethnicity/race:
White/Caucasian, non-Hispanic

Undergraduate institution:
-Portland Communiy College (dual credit program in HS)
-Clark Honors College at the University of Oregon (BS in biochemistry)

Clinical experience:
-150+ hours as a volunteer pharmacy technician for a charitable pharmacy (serves only low-income, uninsured patients)
-*200+ hours volunteering at a community hospital (I think it's technically a rural hospital?)

Research experience and productivity
-2 years of paid undergraduate work/reasearch in a biology lab
-Undergraduate research thesis (presenting at UG research symposium; will seek for publication in UG research journal; may be published by PIs at a later time)
-*1 year (at time of application) of paid clinical research

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
-PA (dermatology) 10 hrs
-MD (immediate care) 10 hrs
-DO (primary care) 8 hrs
-*MD (dermatology) 25 hrs
-*MD (internal med.) 25 hrs
-*Maybe more variety depending on networking with the connections I currently have?

Non-clinical volunteering
N/A

Other extracurricular activities:
-Student Health Advisory Committee during UG; largely involved in outreach and recruitment intiatives (talking in front of classes, tabeling, creating advertisements, interviewing applicants, etc.)
-Piano player; nothing professional, but for my own hobby and therapy
-Recreational runner

Relevant honors or awards
-Healthcare scholarship going into college (granted by the healthcare organization I volunteered for 200+ hours with during HS)
-Dean's List for 2 terms of UG
-Does being part of the honors college count as an honors?

Additional info:
I have a good amount of work experience that is customer service-based (worked at a grocery store) and some office-based experience (temping).

As I said, a portion of this is hypothetical, but I do want an honest opinion about what the gap year may mean for me chances.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you mean by

Non clinical volunteering
N/A ?

You certainly need that to have a complete application. It’s impossible to make any predictions without a MCAT score. Your GPAs are okay for DO but much depends on your MCAT.

Perhaps I don't know the particulars of the application.

I said N/A (none applicable) because I wouldn't have volunteering that wasn't healthcare based or another extracurricular activity. Unless you think another activity could be moved there? But I'm always happy to do more volunteering, if needed. I know a couple organizations which I could spend some time with.

Last edited: