Hypothetical situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jxr182

Jamie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a person applies to a pharm program, already pocessing a bacherlors in a generic liberal arts field, goes back and takes all the science classes needed to get into pharmacy school:
1) Will they look at the overall lower gpa or the 3.8ish science/math (prereq) gpa?
2) Assuming a good PCAT score, does this sound like a good candidate?

My overal gpa upon graduation is 3.3, but that includes one semester that was all F's that were forgiven. (Factoring those in brings it down to a 2.7, but I don't think they would.) About 90% of the prereqs are taken AFTER the B.S. graduation. That would be enough courses/time to show a real improvement, especially since the F's semester was in 2001, right?

Members don't see this ad.

If a person applies to a pharm program, already pocessing a bacherlors in a generic liberal arts field, goes back and takes all the science classes needed to get into pharmacy school:
1) Will they look at the overall lower gpa or the 3.8ish science/math (prereq) gpa?
2) Assuming a good PCAT score, does this sound like a good candidate?

My overal gpa upon graduation is 3.3, but that includes one semester that was all F's that were forgiven. (Factoring those in brings it down to a 2.7, but I don't think they would.) About 90% of the prereqs are taken AFTER the B.S. graduation. That would be enough courses/time to show a real improvement, especially since the F's semester was in 2001, right?

I believe that a good number of schools look at both overall and pre-req GPA. You will have to look at each school to see if they will factor in those F's. The university that I go to will only not consider a grade if you choose the academic forgiveness policy. But that means that all classes/grades taken five years ago will not be considered. If you have retaken a class, they will take the average of the grades that you receive--including the F if that pertains to it. I am not sure if this is the same policy for every school; I am sure some have a different way of calculating the grade of a retaken class.

My advice would be to visit the website of a school that you are interested in and check out their policy on academic forgiveness/classes that have been retaken. This information is usually on the website; sometimes you just have to search for it. If it is not, I would contact the school and ask them directly about this.

Overall, I feel that it looks very good that you have shown such an improvement; many people make mistakes or just do not have direction when they are first starting out in college and to hold that against them for their entire college career is not right in my opinion. However, this is just coming from a student and not a member of any admissions committee.