Hypothetically speaking....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Scribe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the purpose of residency applications:

Would it be better for one to have a CV with +10 abstracts, posters, and publications that are all mid-authors

OR

would it be better for one to have a CV with 3-4 first author abstracts, posters, and pubs?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx for contributing.

Do you know if 1st author posters/abstracts carry much weight or is it all about papers?

Its about the effort. Sure, you want the completed product as a staple on your resume, but if youre actively involved in research, whether its finalized or in progress, posters vs papers, youre going to get the check mark in that category

Reactions: 2 users
For the purpose of residency applications:

Would it be better for one to have a CV with +10 abstracts, posters, and publications that are all mid-authors

OR

would it be better for one to have a CV with 3-4 first author abstracts, posters, and pubs?

And to your first point, anyone can add their name to a paper when they really did hardly anything to contribute. If youre the first author, even if its one publication, they know its legit and you did the work.

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of mid authors just means you were around productive people. First author means you were productive.

For example my PhD didn't yield a single mid author pub because I was in a small lab and wasn't doing the kind of work where people (from my lab or others in the department) would ask me to do a couple experiments for them. On the flip side, all of my first author pubs include work from other labs.

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of mid authors just means you were around productive people. First author means you were productive.

For example my PhD didn't yield a single mid author pub because I was in a small lab and wasn't doing the kind of work where people (from my lab or others in the department) would ask me to do a couple experiments for them. On the flip side, all of my first author pubs include work from other labs.

I figured it would be more important to have first author pubs, thanks for input.

I’m feeling jaded right now because my first author mss is being tossed around a couple journals, but others have gotten their papers accepted even though they submitted after me.

I’m in a position where getting mid authors pubs should be very easy, but I’m worried my PI might be doubting my commitment compared to more productive peers and it’s making me want to switch into more clinical research (specialty specific).

Not to mention, I think I should try to have pubs with different co authors instead of having the same 5 or 6 people on everything in my CV, but idk how important that is.

The paper I’ve written has more than enough to get accepted for a conference abstract/poster presentation- does being first author on that carry much weight?

You realize there’s like almost no way to control what author you end up as on a project right? It’s all on the discression of what your PI wants.

Can’t believe you consulted aProgDirector for this lol

Reactions: 1 users